Estate sale tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to look at a few tanks that are part of an estate sale tomorrow, from what I understand the owners are in their 70s and moving to a retirement home so I figure these tanks are going to be a few years old. So, what should I look for before making an offer and any idea what the price should be?
Yeah, kinda a wide open question but I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Gary

Hydro, Viz, and general condition. If you're technologically happening you can google the tanks' info from your cell phone, you should be looking for a manufacturer, capacity (72, 80, 95, etc.), and fill pressure. That info will be on the crown of the tanks, stamped into the metal.

Also look for either DOT-3AA or DOT-3AL, to denote steel from aluminum and ensure you can get them filled. If they don't have the DOT stamp, good luck with them.

Some informative links:

http://www.underwaterdivingequipment.com/tank-markings.html

How to Read a Scuba Tank | eHow.com

Scuba Cylinder Specifications from Tech Diving Limited - 928-855-9400

Peace,
Greg

Last edited:
Being a couple in their 70s I am going to guess the cylinders are probably 20 years old ...

The short version if the cylinder has 3AL (aluminum) do not buy it if the FIRST hydro mark if before 1990 (do a search on AL 6351). $75 in hydro $50 out of hydro.

If it is 3AA (steel) with 2250 and seems to be slighter smaller than a typical AL cylinder then it is more than likely a LP 72. Any hydro year is fine. $75 in hydro $50 out of hydro.

One other to note with older steels circa before 1970 instead of DOT you will ICC instead. That is fine as ICC predates DOT. Also the valve may 1/2" instead of the std 3/4". If you see threads on the valve then it is 1/2". Getting a valve is not a problem but getting a good one can be.

Back
Top Bottom