Essential diving "package" for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vuk Milicevic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

As someone brand new to scuba diving and looking to take it up as a recreational sport in warm/tropical waters, I'm looking to get some good advice while avoiding the boring "what is the best [insert type of equipment/gear] for a new diver.

From what I've been reading online, the general consensus seems to be that when initially starting out, the bare essentials needed are a snorkel, mask and fins. With that being said, does anyone have any advice on what brand(s) and model(s) are ideal for new divers looking for quality at a decent/affordable price?

Having done some window shopping, it seems that different brands and models are out there in abundance making the choice difficult. I would also like to know if there are any advantages offered from one brand in particular (I.e Aqua Lung or Cressi) over another.

With so much to choose from and so many different brands/models, I'd like to get everyone's take instead of blindly following what pro at the store says. If it matters for any reason, I'm 6ft. 5", weigh 235lbs and wear a size 13 shoe.

I appreciate the help in advance. Cheers!

if I were me, which is a somewhat similar size to you, I'd do this. Sucks because you have to shop around

Mask-they have it in some other colors as well
Explorer II Frameless Mask

Snorkel-pick your color preference there or go with the foldable one if you are going to dive in the ocean regularly. Basically this will live in the bottom of your gear bin once you are done. Grab a snorkel keeper while you're at it
Snorkels

Booties
I have size 13 block feet, so I haven't had much luck with scuba booties so I use these
https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Paddle-Wetshoe-Mens-Black/dp/B00TIXT5OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502297055&sr=8-1&keywords=nrs+paddle+shoe&th=1&psc=1

Fins you have basically two options in my opinion. Both are great fins and you can't go wrong with either. I usually grab the Deep6's when I go diving though as I find I have better control with them vs my XT's. I grab the XT's if I'm having to do a lot of kicking into current but that is personal preference.

Deep6 Eddy in probably XXL. You might be able to get into the XL depending on how wide your feet are. Mine are 13-4e so the XL doesn't work unless I'm in socks
Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Fins
Dive Rite XT in XL is the other option.
Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Fins - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Total is call it $50 from Piranha for Mask w/ Case, and snorkel w/holder, $55 for the booties, and $100-$150 for the fins. This stuff will last you forever in your diving career, at least until you lose something or the booties wear out.

if I were me, which is a somewhat similar size to you, I'd do this. Sucks because you have to shop around

Mask-they have it in some other colors as well
Explorer II Frameless Mask

Snorkel-pick your color preference there or go with the foldable one if you are going to dive in the ocean regularly. Basically this will live in the bottom of your gear bin once you are done. Grab a snorkel keeper while you're at it
Snorkels

Booties
I have size 13 block feet, so I haven't had much luck with scuba booties so I use these
https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Paddle-Wetshoe-Mens-Black/dp/B00TIXT5OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502297055&sr=8-1&keywords=nrs+paddle+shoe&th=1&psc=1

Fins you have basically two options in my opinion. Both are great fins and you can't go wrong with either. I usually grab the Deep6's when I go diving though as I find I have better control with them vs my XT's. I grab the XT's if I'm having to do a lot of kicking into current but that is personal preference.

Deep6 Eddy in probably XXL. You might be able to get into the XL depending on how wide your feet are. Mine are 13-4e so the XL doesn't work unless I'm in socks
Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Fins
Dive Rite XT in XL is the other option.
Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Fins - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Total is call it $50 from Piranha for Mask w/ Case, and snorkel w/holder, $55 for the booties, and $100-$150 for the fins. This stuff will last you forever in your diving career, at least until you lose something or the booties wear out.
This is most helpful. Thank you for your time.

Fit is way more important than a specific brand. The one feature I definitely suggest is bungee or spring straps on the fins. Makes them way easier to get on and off, especially in the water.

I regret the gear I purchased before I started diving regularly. Before my 20th dive I owned a BCD and regs. The BCD isn't bad, though it's a bit too big and if I was buying now, I'd probably get a wing instead of a jacket style. The regulators (Poseidon Cyklon), on the other hand, are expensive to service, difficult to get serviced, not Nitrox compatible (apparently), can't be used with other second stages (due to different working pressures), and need an adapter to fit on most rental cylinders (DIN vs. the common yoke). They became such a hassle to own that I bought another pair of regs second hand which I can actually use and reconfigure easily.

I recently completely outfitted myself and my wife with gear that was heavily discounted off craigslist from people who clearly went out and bought everything during their open water certification. Do yourself a favor and stick with some fins, snorkel, and mask for a while. Make sure diving is your thing. If you disregard my advice, don't worry. You'll be doing a bargain hunting diver a favor :)

@Vuk Milicevic given your physical size, depending on where you're diving, you might want to invest in your own wetsuit now. You may find rentals that would fit you are hard to come by.

I also agree that whatever fins you end up with, get spring straps. There are aftermarket ones that can fit any fins, even if yours didn't come with them. They are worth every single penny you pay for them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom