equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrellis97

New
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting certifed, but I am on a budget. What items do I need and which ones can I buy used. Is there items that my life depends on that I really need new? Please let me know!! Thanks

To get certified, you usually need to purchase the basic, mask, fin and snorkel. You may also want to consider initally purchasing a pair of dive gloves and boots to fit your fins. Aside from these items if you decide after certification that diving is something that you desire to do regularly, you would be interested in buying a BC, exposure suit, Regulator with compass, etc. The inital cost is not very expensive but as the sport grows on you. Oh Noooooooooooooooooo !

For my certification we were required only to have the following items: THE BASICS: Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Booties, Weights.

The rest depends on you. If you decide to take the course try different equipment if the LDS has options for you to figure out additional equipment you may want after completion or down the road. The key is to try as much equipment on as you can to decide ultimately what you like, now it also depends on what kind of diving you do.

I am going through the same issues, but I've just purchased all my gear to continue classes.

Good luck and use the board for advice and opinions. You will get alot of both. All good though.

waterdogs.

In my opinion the most important piece of gear to start with is the mask. I would buy one new and make sure it fits well. Mask problems are one of the biggest issues with new divers and students. Second I would buy fins. As far as used gear, I started with some used gear and never had problems with it. I would caution against buying used life support gear like a BC or regulator but if you can find good used fins, wet suit, dry suit, lights, knife and other accessories fine, buy them. If you can get a good deal on used gear through a shop then I would consider it as long as the shop services it and will back it up. This sport can be expensive and I understand wanting to save a few bucks. I have friends that have purchased used regulators and BC's through shop out of their rental gear and never had a problem. I use an ex rental BC for helping with classes in the pool and it was a good deal!

Good luck.

Scott

As long as something fits well, you can get it all used. Get it from a reputable place (LDS) and make sure they stand behind it. I have bought fins, snorkels, masks, reg, computer all used. Wetsuit is harder to fit used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom