Equipment Report: Atomics B2 with SS1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sockeye02

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I finally decided to take the plunge and get my own equipment! Bought an Atomics B2 with SS1 as well as a Cressi XS for my pony (so there's a direct comparison at depth with another regulator)
The B2 felt comfortable in the mouth and the swivel was nice in allowing me to turn my head more freely. While on land and in the pool I experimented using a bridged mouthpiece vs the original bite block but felt I'd rather stay with the atomics original.
Breathing was very smooth and easy throughout the dive to a max depth of 30m in tropical waters of 20-25deg C and the bubbles did not noticeably interfere with my vision.
I felt no jaw fatigue throughout my dives over the weekend and breathing facing upwards was almost as easy as breathing facing downwards. This was in contrast to my previous experiences with rental regulators where breathing while facing the surface was almost like trying to suck milkshake! I'd previously have to gently purge every few breaths just to reduce the effort of breathing. No such experiences with the B2 :)
I did not experience water in the regulator while underwater even once while it remained in my mouth.
The purge on both the SS1 and the B2 was extremely gentle. In contrast to rental regs where I can feel the gush of air, when purging on both regulators I was worried that I wasn't pressing hard enough as I couldn't really feel the purge flow! But purge it did so I didn't breathe in a mouthful of seawater :)
The SS1 is harder to breathe from, comparable to my previous rental regulators. That it is attached to a short BCD hose also makes turning the head beyond the centre difficult. That is of course a problem of my BCD but given that it is a stock hose in a production BCD (Oceanic Islander), it'll probably be an issue with other divers as well.
As a direct comparison, at 18m I switched over to my pony which was fully charged, using the Cressi XS regulator. The difference was immediate; effort of breathing was greatly increased on the Cressi compared to the Atomic.
While I'm an inexperienced diver, I'd have no qualms recommending the Atomic B2 anytime; I had such a wonderful experience with it :)

The SS1 is harder to breathe from, comparable to my previous rental regulators. That it is attached to a short BCD hose also makes turning the head beyond the centre difficult. That is of course a problem of my BCD but given that it is a stock hose in a production BCD (Oceanic Islander), it'll probably be an issue with other divers as well.

Did you try to breath from it while ascending all the way from depth to the surface, including safety stop?

Did you try to breath from it while ascending all the way from depth to the surface, including safety stop?

The OP should try to do this with the SS1. If anything just to get similar with using the SS1 as a regulator and inflator/deflator at the same time.

However, I can tell you that it will work just fine from personal experience.

My rig is B2 and SS1 as well.

The B2 felt comfortable in the mouth and the swivel was nice in allowing me to turn my head more freely. While on land and in the pool I experimented using a bridged mouthpiece vs the original bite block but felt I'd rather stay with the atomics original.

Thanks for the report.

I really like my T2x, but the stock mouthpiece feels a little small. One of these days I'm going to try a Seacure mouthpiece just to see what the fuss is all about.

The OP should try to do this with the SS1. If anything just to get similar with using the SS1 as a regulator and inflator/deflator at the same time.

This post is very good advice. Something few divers do but really should. I also recommend that divers descend on their octo from time to time. If on the descent the octo does not perform then why continue to dive with it as it is not going to be any better when you really need it.

This post is very good advice. Something few divers do but really should. I also recommend that divers descend on their octo from time to time. If on the descent the octo does not perform then why continue to dive with it as it is not going to be any better when you really need it.

Or, you can dive the same model reg for both primary and alternate, and not worry about it one way or the other.

:D

Or, you can dive the same model reg for both primary and alternate, and not worry about it one way or the other.

:D

Exactly. Plus then you only need to carry one spare parts kit for field rebuilds or "aww-shucks" stuff in your save a dive kit. Try fixing a SS1 on a dive boat (or even a shore site without special tools), they are annoying enough to fix in a shop.

I've always thought the SS1 was a little overrated. It's really just an unbalanced second stage with stainless steel parts. I guess I've rebuilt about 20 of them now, and don't think any of them were really great breathers. They can be a little tempermental to tune, too.

My SS1's titanium, to go along with my titanium reg.

It breathes ok, although it feels a little clumsy to bring to my face compared to the octo on my Sherwood reg.

I was looking to save weight and streamline my gear, and the SS1 works well for that.

Thanks for the comments on this thread. I use an Atomic B2 primary and was originally going to go with SS1 (after hearing Rodales Scubalab said how good they are), but I think I'll go with a Z2 octo now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom