Equipment Repair Technician Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We offer an advanced equipment course at our dive shop as many do in our area. It’s a fantastic course for new and old divers alike; learning how to do daily maintenance to their own equipment to help protect it as well as increase its longevity. However, if I’m doing either a DMT lecture or teaching an equipment course, I go out of my way to inform the divers that what I am teaching it is not going to make the a technician. This is important because I have seen too many divers try to service their own kit after a simple lecture and find out they did more hard to their equipment than good. Find out what band of equipment you’re going to want to service and talk to you local dive shop, I’m sure they will help you out. Cheers! N have fun with that retirement.

I fly a desk now. I have all the toys to do dive work, but I went the married route and stayed local so my wife (who makes way more than I do) could complete her career. It worked out because I am with a really big agency with very good pay and benifits.

What I did was I got my commercial cert. at the College of Oceaneering (back when it existed) with the Associate of Science in Marine Technology degree, and then I transferred over to the Californ Satate University Polytechnic in Pomona and get a four year degree in Construction Engineering. You might be able to swing something like that on the G.I. Bill at DIT and go over to Washington State University (or what ever the local Civil Engineering School is) and get on with either Global Diving in Seattle or Collins Engineering in Seattle. Inspection work is the best, welding is alright, ship husbandry is under paid and dangerous. Otherwise it beats sitting at a desk.

Also snoop around the unions and see if there is a Pile Drivers union up there. I know Kewitt Pacific is out in Hawaii doing some work, American Divers is right there in Honalulu and Shimmick Construction is bidding some thing out there. Joining the union is the best way to get some inland/shore line diving work.

Back
Top Bottom