equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just remembered ... there are suit inflator hoses that have a plastic ring with ears the stick out to the side... this might be something that would help you... ask your LDS. Why is it you need to unhook the inflator yourself??

Also... many weight belts will allow you to position the buckle where ever you want it independent of the weigths... so you should be able to move the buckle a few inches to the right. Were you using a SeaSoft belt?

Leave the tail portion (coming from the right and passing through the buckle) a little long. To ditch the weight belt you can pull this tail back toward the right and it will open the buckle. Also the longer tail is what your buddy will pull to ditch your belt if necessary... so the fact that the buckle itself is moved to the right shouldn't be an issue unless it is too far to the right and under the BC.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I just remembered ... there are suit inflator hoses that have a plastic ring with ears the stick out to the side...

Si-Tech I think.

Tom

Why is it you need to unhook the inflator yourself??

I think this a required skill (pool only), as part of the oral inflate.
I think the logic is that if your inflator malfunctions, it's most likely to be the inflator button getting stuck, so you need to stop the inflation to prevent a runaway ascent.
I remember fighting with the damn thing in my pool session with 5mm gloves on. :rolleyes:

FWIW I've had rental hoses that were varied in difficulty to attach/release. Some can be really difficult, so you might just have been unlucky.

ERP once bubbled...
I think this a required skill (pool only), as part of the oral inflate.
I think the logic is that if your inflator malfunctions, it's most likely to be the inflator button getting stuck, so you need to stop the inflation to prevent a runaway ascent.
It is so easy for me to take things like that for granted... things that are so automatic they just drop off the radar screen!

Thanks ERP!

Here are three different LP inflator fittings.

The one in the middle is the one I though might be easiest for you to use.

The one on the right is the standard fare and the one on the left is DUI's suit inflator hose... it might work for you as well.

Thanks UP.

I'll ask about the plastic ring. That is exactly what I'm looking for.

My reason for concern is that this weekend I'll be practicing disconnecting my inflator hose to simulate an inflator failure. I'll have to manually inflate the bcd.

I may need a lot of practice with manual inflation but I'm sticking this out. I thoroughly enjoyed myself Saturday and refuse to quit just because some of the skills will be hard for me to learn to do.

I was using a soft weight belt Saturday. I didn't notice if they had any traditional style belts with lead weights attached.

I'll take your advise to my instructor and see where this leads me. Thanks again.

I just remembered ... there are suit inflator hoses that have a plastic ring with ears the stick out to the side... this might be something that would help you... ask your LDS. Why is it you need to unhook the inflator yourself??

Also... many weight belts will allow you to position the buckle where ever you want it independent of the weigths... so you should be able to move the buckle a few inches to the right. Were you using a SeaSoft belt?

Perfect! The one in the middle is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! You da man!

I'm printing the image as I type this and will put it in my gym bag and show it to my instructor.

Here are three different LP inflator fittings.

The one in the middle is the one I though might be easiest for you to use.

The one on the right is the standard fare and the one on the left is DUI's suit inflator hose... it might work for you as well.

Dotyj -- I take it from the posts that your training is going well! I, for one, am rooting for you and want to hear about that big smile on your face when you start your OW dives. Keep us posted!!

Hi Jeffsterinsf:

My instructor feels that I'm doing very well. Nothing but praise and two warnings.
1) Careful inflating the bcd. I shot to the surface once like a rocket. Oops. I promised to take it easier with the inflate button. Luckily it was only 6.5 feet of water.
2) Watch where you're pointing that reg when you're purging it to remove the first stage from the tank. I sprayed a bit of water on Cassi while she was watching me.

Other skills are progressing well. It's only Monday and I can't wait to get back in the pool Saturday. :)

jeffsterinsf once bubbled...
Dotyj -- I take it from the posts that your training is going well! I, for one, am rooting for you and want to hear about that big smile on your face when you start your OW dives. Keep us posted!!

Back
Top Bottom