equipment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey once bubbled...
I just never liked the looks quality-wise of their BCs and regulators.
...looks aren't everything... which for some folks is very fortuitous...

anyway... Shane had a Tusa BC and it was just fine as BCs go.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...looks aren't everything... which for some folks is very fortuitous...
Ok, how about an owners manual that doesn't read like English is a sixth language? :)

I gotta admit my opinions are dated. Seemd like back in the 80s once a month or better someone was coming in with the showerhead TUSA regulator with a broken 2nd stage housing.

Roak

For what it's worth, I've been diving with a TUSA BCD since I was certified in 1995. It's certainly nothing fancy, but neither is my diving.
:) I keep it serviced, it inflates and deflates when I need it to. I am considering a BCD as my next purchase, not really because I need one (the TUSA still works)--I just want to make a new SCUBA purchase!

Taxshark-

"not really because I need one (the TUSA still works)--I just want to make a new SCUBA purchase!"

That's the spirit!!!!!!

I thought I was the only one with this affliction.

With regards to TUSA their top of the line reg. just got stunning reviews from Divernet magazine. I think they make a great mask(Liberator and Liberator +) but their fins are made of thermoplastic(not the split fin) and curl up in the sun like a spider on a hot stove. Their BCs look nice but ,really, who would ever wear a BC and not a backplate?

You have entered a dangerous zone -- equipment.

You might want to think a bit about the diving you are planning, your budget and some other, relatively "non-important issues" as these.

Different people will have different requirement from their equipment. The needs of a technical diver doing 300 dives a year is totally different than a Rec diver doing 20 dives a year. So what are you and where are you planning to be in a few years?

If your requirement is more Rec oriented, I guess that the Tusa won't be such a bad idea. On the other hand, there are some relatively unexpensive, good BCD's from other manufacturers as well.

I would suggest that you have a little market research and get some more advice and guidance from your local dive store, instructor and so on. You might find http://www2.scubadiving.com/gear/bcs.shtml usefull as well.

Ari :)

I would be very skeptical of someone who puts down a brand and wont/cant back it up with facts. In the dive industry their is alot of mis-information and gossip that goes around based on 2nd hand knowledge.

As for TUSA.. which is just 1 of the many brands of BCs I own or use, I have no complaints. I have used many different brands of TUSA bcs, regs, fins, masks, etc and find that most gear with the exception of fins, regs, you will not find alot of difference among the rec brands other then looks and how many D rings they can place on it to make it look cool. TUSA's bc's are safe, practical, and reliable and anyone who tells you different just doesnt know TUSA bc's.

My TUSA bc is safe, and reliable and gets me up and down as I need. I have never had anything break on it or malfunction as it serves its purpose. While it may not be pretty and certianlly has faded brown from all those pool sessions I teach, its a good bc.

I have been using my TUSA bc for years while teaching students
and although some of my students may have choosen to go with TUSA because I was wearing mine, I encourage all my students to find a BC that suits them, and not just what I use. I make no commission on sales so I benefit nothing from their selection and am more then willing to offer my advice on the benefits and disadvantages of different bc's that I am familiar with.

As for bp/wings, while its always nice to put together your own BC, unless your diving ALOT or technical divinging you have to justify the expense as bp/wings are not cheap. As it is I have to many sets of gear and will not be adding to my growing collection anytime soon.

Ryan Stone
IDCS

Back
Top Bottom