Equipment Necessary for Open Water Diving / Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMck

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My son and I are going to Cozumel next week. We are both novice divers with about 35 dives each under our belts. We've both taken Advanced Open Water but neither of us have taken Stress & Rescue yet. We will be diving with Dive Palancar associated with the Occidental Grand and are hiring a private guide to give us added confidence for safety purposes.

We each have purchased our own gear in the past year -- SeaQuest Balance & Libra BC's, Aqualung Legend Regulators, Cobra3 Dive Computers, etc.

What other accessory gear is needed for this type of open water dive? I've read that open water divers should always carry mirrors and other visual aids in case they get lost in the water. What is suggested? What is necessary?

Thanks! We are new to this and what to enjoy the journey in a SAFE manner. We appreciate all of the help we can get.

I believe that all divers should be equipped with a Delayed Surface Marker Buoy (DSMB) and small reel, with which to deploy it. If you got separated from your guide, it means you could conduct a safe ascent and stable safety stop - whilst warning any passing boats or jetskiers that you are ascending to the surface. In addition, if caught in a drift, it allows the boat to track your progress...or see you at the surface at a distance.

An effective whistle and small mirror are also good options.

Not much else needed...except maybe a small LED torch. Nice for illuminating dark crevices etc or as a back-up on night dives.

Cozumel is drift diving, so you should each have a safety sausage in case you surface away from your group and the boat.

Last time I was there I just had a cheap roll up one (under $10) in my BC pocket and had to inflate it once. Or you can get a nice one from DAN or Zeagle depending on your budget. I now carry the Zeagle kit with the reel.

Adam

With only a week to go, you will probably have to settle on what your LDS stocks witch is probably a 45 inch long safety sausage normally deployed after you reach the surface. 6 feet is better to get the boats attention in heavy swells but seas are not really much of a problem in Cozumel where the sausage is more to ward off other boats than to attract yours. Your DM will have a sausage but it is always a good idea to have your own. Plus, after a day or 2 you will probably find you will be just fine without a private DM. Dive Palancar runs a safe and somewhat conservative op but they are right there on the southern reefs. They do 4 single tank dive a day where the 1st morning and afternoon dives are deep (80 ft) and the 2nd dives are shallow (40 to 60 ft). You might want to start out with 2 shallow dives before you go for an 80 ft wall.

I always carry a DSMB as they tend to be larger and designed to be deployed at depth. But they requires a bit of practice to use effectively so I'd suggest you go shoppping for one of those well before your next trip.

Enjoy the diving and the Occidental Grand. It will make a great first trip.

Just came back from there. Raul is a great DM...BUT I found the dive shop (how they got a PADI 5 star rating is beyone my comprerhension) is just OK. The various boats do NOT have near the amount of helpers aboard for the amount of divers. You need to check and double check your own gear!!! You must take your won SMB but all the DM's carry and deploy for you. I found the reefs in OK shape and the viz down from years ago. Trust NO ONE and check the quality of your own air!! Have fun.!

I just got back from a trip to the Occidental Grand. We only did one dive with Dive Palancar though. I brought my DAN SMB (which has a safety marker, whistle and mirror in the pocket), a small light for looking under ledges and a small slate. Make sure you get your weights at the dive shop before getting on the boat. Our dive was to a shallow reef (Paso del Cedro) and they stick to a 40 minute dive regardless of air remaining.

I was a little nervous about drift diving but found it to be the most relaxing diving I've done so far. I fell completely head over heels in love with Cozumel.

Have a fantastic trip! I can't wait to go back to Coz!!

BUT I found the dive shop (how they got a PADI 5 star rating is beyone my comprerhension) is just OK. The various boats do NOT have near the amount of helpers aboard for the amount of divers.
I totally agree with this! I didn't notice the 5 star rating - that surprises me. What does it take to be a 5 star?

I don't remember the name of our DM though...Bingo? Pingo? I have never had problems with my ears before that dive. It took me about 7 minutes to descend to the 50' the group was at. He never once came up to see what my problem was. My dive buddy went to tell him that we were going to surface since I could not get my ears to clear and he said no. Um, OK. She was confused. By the time she got back to where I was I had managed to get down to about 30' so we just cruised along until I made it down to the group. Nothing at all like the experiences I had on our other dives using divewithalison. It all worked out fine and we were a group of experienced divers but it would have been a little unnerving if the circumstances were different.

An SMB, a whistle, a light...and a camera.

A word of caution...watch your depth, you can sink quick while drifitng as you watch the perty coral wall or follow a fish etc..you may not pay that much attention to your depth..even if there is a DM guiding you...be mindfull of your depth and Air of course....

BUT HAVE FUN!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom