Equipment for Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm signed up for the PADI Wreck Diver specialty. I had the same experience as the OP - a charter guide took me into the YO-257 and San Pedro, and entering through a window, floating up a staircase, and exiting to a different part of the ship was really fun. Unfortunately I don't think there are many wrecks here that really require Advanced Wreck training. I'd like to take the Advanced Wreck course just for knowledge and experience of using the equipment but the TDI shop here doesn't offer it. I already have most of the gear - assuming I wouldn't need my own tanks - and buying a single long hose and maybe an H-valve isn't that big of a deal.

I looked at PADI wreck-related courses, and also looked at TDI/SDI. The TDI/TDI website lists the Course Standards and Procedures (.pdf) for every course. The TDI 'Advanced' Wreck course requires the TSI 'Basic' course OR SIMILAR (including PADI Wreck specialty) as a prerequisite. The material *as indicated in SDI and PADI literature* is very, very similar. They are both basic introductions to wreck diving:
SDI Wreck Diver - SDI | TDI | ERDI
Wreck Diver | PADI

The equipment needed for PADI Wreck Diver specialty:
'...basic scuba equipment, plus a dive light, a slate, and a line and reel. Your PADI Instructor or local dive center staff may suggest other gear appropriate for wreck diving in your area.'

The TDI Advanced Wreck course is different. The requirements include alternate air source, long hose, lines, cutters, etc.
TDI Advanced Wreck Diver - SDI | TDI | ERDI

If you work with a local/independent instructor, you may be able to find that taking a basic Wreck Specialty course cost little more than going on dive charters for the same amount of dives, which reflects my experience.

I would skip strait to Tech 40 or Tech Apprentice (whatever agency you like). Those skills are pretty much universal for all your future diving, pick some deco and deco gas. Maybe your instructor can package up self reliant and wreck. Many instructors bundle Advanced Nitrox / Deco Procedures with Advanced Wreck because they go hand in hand. If you take the Padi wreck enjoy it and meet new like minded people! Good luck, I'd like to hear what you think after the class.

Billy

BRed, can you say more about what "dockside tour" means? I will likely always hire a local company rather than going it on my own, if for no other reason than my wife is not a diver so when travelling, I will not have a diver buddy unless I join a dive company. In general though, I'd much prefer to go down with a local for my own comfort anyways.

I'm cool with buying items that I might classify as "necessary dive accessories." I'm more concerned about what lermontov was referring to like redundant gas systems.

I do understand that wreck diving is a slippery slope to tech diving though, if for no reason than it creates motivation for going deeper and for longer. For now, I'm enrolling in AOW and only ~20 dives, so there is LOTS of time between me and tech diving. My hope is that there is some interesting lesser wreck dives that can be accessible to someone with 25-50 dives if they invest in the right education and some small items.
dont go into anything you cant see the light of day

Back
Top Bottom