Equipment for DIR-F Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some of the Dive Rite rigs that will do but more of the DSS and Oxycheq rigs are compliant... and all of the Halcyon ones will do (with the right wing size).

Don't sweat the grommet... burning a hole in the webbing for the bolt hole will do fine.

If you go Dive Rite (I am assuming you are only going to be diving single tank setup as of now) the grommet doesn't pertain to you. Your tank is held on with 2 tank straps that weave through slots. You can purchase webbing on your own, but then you need to buy 3 Drings, 5 serrated tri-glides, a buckle,a prefabed crotch strap, or more webbing, 2 more drings, and 2 non serrated tri-glides. Either way dont forget to add some extra pieces of bicycle inertube to the webbing to hold your backup lights (un threading and re threading the harness gets old). Regarding not having someone to blame... dude its 2" webbing! Unless the stars line up just right and the world ends, the only that can go wrong is YOU assemble it wrong.
DR is a fine rig (I dont care for their wings though) I have their plate
Tobin has some interesting designs (I have his plate)
Halcyon makes a fine getup (except for all those damn blue H's I love their webbing)

Well most likely i will go for the rec pass because my aspirations with GUE (at least for now) lie within a need to learn proper buoyancy, propulsion, and safety and emergency technique. None other agency provides the sort of training GUE does in this regard. I really have no cave aspirations at this stage of my life. I may be still too new of a diver to have technical or cave plans for the next 2-3 of years.

You can always upgrade a rec pass to a tech pass later - you just need a quick checkout session with any GUE instructor to do this. The upgrade procedure from provisional to full pass is more complex and generally requires that the same instructor does the reassessment (yeah, I know :shakehead:).

Everything Halcyon sells/makes is DIR. In my fundies their were a lot of little things that people with other manufacturers stuff were told about. Nothing that prevented them from taking the class though. It was all just interesting little things that make life easier in their opinions.

Everything Halcyon sells/makes is DIR. In my fundies their were a lot of little things that people with other manufacturers stuff were told about. Nothing that prevented them from taking the class though. It was all just interesting little things that make life easier in their opinions.

Heh, kinda sorta used to be
Check the CCR wing on here ...
Halcyon: Explorer Wings

They also sell gaiters ....

Thanks a lot to all for your replies.

A couple of other things:

In the GUE / DIR DVD when George Irwine talks about drysuits he seemed to be quite against the "shoulder-entry" suits. I am pretty sure the DVD was filmed in 2004, does anyone have an idea on what is the position of the DIR instructors, and system in general regarding the "shoulder-entry" suits, like Bare Nexgen, Viking Xtreme SE, DUI TLS SE etc.

And finally is DUI Weight and Trim system considered DIR-compliant or not?

Thanks again!

At the Fundies level, all that will be required of your drysuit is that it fits properly and permits you the mobility to reach your valves. It is desirable to get in and out of it yourself, and the DIR recommendation is for a laminate suit because they dry quickly and you can adapt the undergarment to a wide variety of water temperatures. The tiny details like which zipper placement/entry the suit uses may be pertinent to WKPP divers, but not to the vast majority of the rest of us.

Similarly, as long as your weight and trim permits you to carry weight in the right position to allow for horizontal trim, I don't believe anything will be said about it. In general, as you go on, it's desirable to move as much weight as feasible onto your rig, where it cannot be lost. But I wear a weight belt, and my husband uses a Weight & Trim, and nothing has ever been said to him about it.

Really, the best thing to do is identify the instructor with whom you will take Fundies, and run these equipment questions by him.

Thanks again to all for their replies and clarifications.

Now i am a proud owner of a DiveRite SS B/P + Continuous harness + 2" Crotch strap. My dealer had a special on all DR stuff and, so there i was.

As much as i like my current Deep Outdoors Matrix system, it will have to find a new owner very soon. I am keeping the wing for the time being...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom