Equipment For Beginning Tec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go for the Shearwater petrel or perdix computers.

My instructor ran an "intro to tech" (NAUI) class that showed us the appropriate gear in a series of pool sessions. Gear was available if you didn't have it. From there, if you wanted to take the Technical Decompression Diver (NAUI) classes, he issued a gear list for you to have for class. Talk to your instructor, as he will be the one you need to work with in the class. We can make all kinds of suggestions, but it's the instructor that sets the rules.

A decent instructor will lend you kit. Part of the course is learning what suits you by trying it out BEFORE spending money.

Initially you will not need a stage. That comes at ANDP, you will probably do intro to tech first to get the hang of a twinset. The regs you have will do for now, then buy another set the same as one you have to put two the same on the twinset and the odd one on the stage. The xtx200 can be reversed if you fancy that for maybe easier routing and certainly easier identification.

Keep in mind that you can do really a lot of diving with a twinset of 32% and a little or no deco. The whole extra cylinder of deco gas thing can wait until you are totally comfortable with the twinset, shutdowns, s-drills etc.

Ps if you can't find a decent tdi instructor locally price flights to Bristol and talk to this guy www.dive-tech.co.uk
If you only want to buy once, dont buy anything until youve done the course is my advice, sure the instructor will lend you equipment. You are on the foothills of a major gear acquisition mountain!

If you only want to buy once, dont buy anything until youve done the course is my advice, sure the instructor will lend you equipment. You are on the foothills of a major gear acquisition mountain!
Possibly lend, possibly rent. Instructors got to eat too, so don't count on them providing you gear for free. I suggest getting that all straight ahead of time to avoid surprise bills.

Have you decided BM vs SM? That might also make a difference - I always thought I would do BM but now I am taking a class to introduce myself to both back and side mount. From there I can make my decision.

Possibly lend, possibly rent. Instructors got to eat too, so don't count on them providing you gear for free. I suggest getting that all straight ahead of time to avoid surprise bills.
Why for free? It always costs to rent equipment. Instructors got to eat which is presumably why he or she is running a technical diving business. If you buy stuff before a course you almost certainly risk making buying decisions you will regret.

I can arrange for students to rent gear. For tech classes I expect them to have most of what they want to begin with. A BPW, suitable regs, reel, SMB, lift bag, drysuit if diving locally, and primary and back up lights. They can rent regs, tanks, and stages. An Intro course may or may not offer the chance to try different BPW set ups. I now only have two suitable for students to rent. I can make arrangements for others. I have several sidemount setups they can use. Normally I tell them this is what the class requires, where you get it is up to you but I can sell you everything but tanks to get you going. I don't want tech students in rental gear. Too important to know your set up in these classes.
I require students to supply their own gear for AOW and recreational Deep classes let alone tech.

I'd also hope they realized that when the decision to go down the tech path is made they should have a couple thousand dollars to invest right off the bat. That's with renting tanks.
ANDP is no time to show up in a BPW that you only have dozen dives in.

1. You cannot set Zoop to gauge mode. But if you "bent" it first ie. violate the dive mode, the unit will still give you time and depth on your next dive. It doesn't get lock out for 24hrs as some computers do.
2. No need to buy "tec' computer.
3. DS4 is perfectly good for tec dive, have been using it for 18yrs.
4 Two FSR for back gas. Put the 5th port on the right post reg for the long hose. There is no need for the 5th port in your left post.

I did not have any dedicated equipment when first learning tec dive in Philippines(1998). The dive shop provided everything then and they still DO nowadays(FOC)!!!!!

Last edited:
Whilst I can (and do...) rent equipment to tech students, I do advise that there are distinct advantages to having, and using, your own equipment for lessons. The biggest advantage is that you have the chance to get your own gear properly sized, configured and modified with expert advice. This is especially true with sidemount.... but even with backmount, there's a lot of tweaks and improvements that can be made.

This, of course, requires that the student gets the right gear in advance. The way to ensure this is to communicate effectively with the instructor before starting the course. For my students, I have written several ebooks that guide on both equipment and skills preparation. I want my students turning up for training as well prepared as possible - so that they get the very most out of the classes. It's a little effort on my behalf - but isn't that what students deserve from their tech instructor?

Find a tech instructor who starts educating you before you arrive for class. Ask a lot of questions and expect detailed, motivated, replies. Technical diving training should be so much more than just regurgitating the manual and a tick-list of skills to be completed....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom