Equipment Choices for Spouses/S.O.s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a question for those of you who dive w/ your spouse or S.O. that got me thinking on another thread re: my potential gear choice:

Do you & your spouse have identical gear (particularly, regulator/computer...BC/mask/fins, etc. really doesn't matter)?

The reason I ask is that my wife is only interested in warm water diving & would like to become cavern certified, but has no interest in cave/wreck/low-vis/deep diving. Other than cavern, she just wants to look at the pretty fish. :) I, on the other hand, am thinking of pursuing a bit more specialty diving in the years to come...I'd be interested in learning more about river, wreck, intro to cave, etc.

Given our different interests, I was thinking of a Scubapro Mk25/S600 for my wife & an Apeks ATX200 setup for myself, which would definitely allow me to grow into cold water diving, the particulate diving of rivers, etc. Our LDS sells the ATX200 at about $150 more than the Mk25/600 setup, so I figured since the SP reg would suit her just fine, why spend the extra bucks on a second Apeks?

I see cons, however, which have been pointed out previously. Namely, (1) if I should move from this area (where the same LDS sells SP & Apeks), I may need to find 2 LDSs in order to service my regs and (2), we would need two separate spare parts kits.

So those of you who have had two buy 2 setups, did you purposely buy identical setups?

Jim

My wife and I have pretty much identical gear.

Some of this was by intent - we felt it was important that functional items such as computer, hose configuration, regs were the same for redundancy purposes and familiarity in an emegency.

Some of it was just that we did the research together and both thought they were the best choice. This drove the BC, mask and fins to being the same (BC's are the M/F versions of the same design - Libra and Balance).

It certainly works well and, in your case, technically oriented gear (back inflate or wing / long hose ect.) may be the better configuration for any form of diving.

We went with the ATX200 / ATX50 combination and certainly don't regret it.

Is your wife a new diver or has she been diving awhile? If she is new, it is very easy for her to assume she might not want to do a paticular type of diving, like cold or deep. As she dives more and builds confidence, she may decide to broaden her horizons a little and try more types of diving.

Something to consider.

Juls

Juls64 once bubbled...
Is your wife a new diver or has she been diving awhile? If she is new, it is very easy for her to assume she might not want to do a paticular type of diving, like cold or deep. As she dives more and builds confidence, she may decide to broaden her horizons a little and try more types of diving.

Juls

Very good point, Juls, and one I should give more thought to. She was quite nervous about going to do a guided cenote dive, and after the dive said it was the most peaceful, beautiful diving she'd ever done.... Now she's gung-ho to fly down to the Yucatan for cavern certification, once she gets some more diving experience under her belt. She's always said, "I'm not at all interested in deep or cold," but you're right...that could always change.

Jim

My husband and I do have the same equipment, as Grajan said

we felt it was important that functional items such as computer, hose configuration, regs were the same for redundancy purposes and familiarity in an emegency

GoBlue! once bubbled...

I may need to find 2 LDSs in order to service my regs and (2), we would need two separate spare parts kits.

You could just learn to service your own regs. Problem solved. The spare parts problem will solve it self if you get onto servicing your regs. There is a wealth of info on servicing on this board.

Jambi

Jambi once bubbled...

You could just learn to service your own regs. Problem solved. The spare parts problem will solve it self if you get onto servicing your regs. There is a wealth of info on servicing on this board.

Just found Seajay's website w/ the wealth of info on servicing regs. Who knows, that may be a possibility in the future....for now, however, I'm more comfortable having a pro do it.

Jim

My wife and I own the exact sme gear. The reasons are a few however the easiest to explain is in our computers. We have the Suunto Cobra with the same algorythms.

When I have reached my deco limit most of the time she is about the same time away from having to ascend as well. Diving the Sherwood Maximus we received the regs as a Christmas gift and they were bought a the same time.

I have had issues with different fins. I was diving the SP split fins and found myself stopping in sometimes a difficult current having to wait for my wife to catch up. I have recently bought the split fins for her.....

I think that the save on parts costs in the save a dive kit as well as the maintenance issues/service issues is a nice feature to have. By owning the same equipment is saves in buying two sets of replacement parts in the event of a break or malfunction in equipment.

Lastly I would like to state that I think that you should purchase something that is reliable with a good service/maintenance record. In the event that you need to send one regulator in for service you could always ask permission to borrow the spouses reg....:)

Safe diving,

GoBlue! once bubbled...

Just found Seajay's website w/ the wealth of info on servicing regs.

What is the URL for SeaJay's site?
Christopher

Back
Top Bottom