Equalizing in a Dive Helmet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougchartier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been watching Delta Divers on NatGeo, a very interesting show about commercial divers in the Gulf of Mexico. I was wondering how the divers equalize when their noses are completely inaccessible through their helmets. Do you have to be able to equalize hands-free?

There's a neoprene "Nose Block" inside the oral/nasal cup that you can use to push up against the bottom of of your nose and thus clear.

On the air hat that is shown on the Delta Divers web site, there is a device that extends through the face of the helmet just above the demand regulator that, when adjusted correctly, slides in and out so you can shove the vee shaped end inside the helmet up under your nose. Typically they are covered in neoprene to help seal your nostrols. I use the one in my hat to shove my upper lip up to cover my nose and I get a better seal.

I have my own neoprene cover because I don't like sharing snot. YMMV, of course :D

Back
Top Bottom