Equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first 2 dives I did I got ear barotruma both times, due to problems equalising and felt discomfort due to pressure at depth. Both time my ears were popping for weeks after the dives and I thought I would never be able to dive. Definitely didn't want to go through that again! So I purchased the doc plug and used it on my last recent dive and I was able to equalise and was comfortable throughout the dive. Note, it took a few mins to equalise after the initial descent, had great 2 tank dive on that day. Ears only popped for a few hours after the dive and no barotrauma. I am a firm believer in the proplugs as now I know I can dive without damaging my ears or having surgery of some kind. It's a small investment for saving your ears! I got 3 sizes to make sure I got the right fit.
This is the first I've heard of anyone saying the pro plugs actually help with equalisation. I don't understand the physics/physiology of this since without them your ears are completely open--which would seem the best situation for equalising. But, everyone's body is different, so maybe the tiny hole in the plugs do something unusual for you. Glad to hear they help.

The first 2 dives I did I got ear barotruma both times, due to problems equalising and felt discomfort due to pressure at depth. Both time my ears were popping for weeks after the dives and I thought I would never be able to dive. Definitely didn't want to go through that again! So I purchased the doc plug and used it on my last recent dive and I was able to equalise and was comfortable throughout the dive. Note, it took a few mins to equalise after the initial descent, had great 2 tank dive on that day. Ears only popped for a few hours after the dive and no barotrauma. I am a firm believer in the proplugs as now I know I can dive without damaging my ears or having surgery of some kind. It's a small investment for saving your ears! I got 3 sizes to make sure I got the right fit.
These issues make me wonder - are you equalising enough in the water as you descend? Do you have sinus issues that are undiagnosed?

I have about 50 dives and my ears NEVER pop after a dive.

I've been using vented Proplugs for ~20 years. IMO they make no difference whatever in equalization. What they do is minimize water intrusion in the ear.
I think you major difference was that you are now paying attention to your equalization.

This is the first I've heard of anyone saying the pro plugs actually help with equalisation. I don't understand the physics/physiology of this since without them your ears are completely open--which would seem the best situation for equalising. But, everyone's body is different, so maybe the tiny hole in the plugs do something unusual for you. Glad to hear they help.
It didn't make the equalisation any quicker. It still took time to descend. Maybe having the little hole puts less pressure on your ear. Also no major problems with water in the ear etc.

These issues make me wonder - are you equalising enough in the water as you descend? Do you have sinus issues that are undiagnosed?

I have about 50 dives and my ears NEVER pop after a dive.
I do have a slight deviated septum but the Dr said it shouldn't cause a problem. The popping for weeks was due to barotrauma. The popping for a couple of hours after the dive is not unusual for new divers. A couple of divers in my group said they have also experienced it. The proplugs have given me confidence that I can dive, maybe after a few dives I won't need them. My ears might need to develop strength or tolerance to pressure changes. That remains to be seen.

From physics (hydrodynamics) point of view, tiny hole would only delay the pressure build up. It will eventually reach the local pressure. The slow rate of pressure built up may help to equalize easier.

[I would cover my nose and blow]. Right idea but technique is important. You don't want to BLOW, you want to 'PUFF'. Be gentle. If you have to blow....hard, you are potentially going to over pressurize when it does equalize. THAT can cause just as much damage.
LOOK UP - too many people look down which pinches off the Eustachian canal and significantly increased equalization difficulty.
Tilt the 'problem ear' UP. One ear is always a bit more of a problem. This stretches the Eustachian canal more and further helps.
Equalize 'early and often'. If you go more than 2 feet, that right, 2 feet from the surface without equalizing, down to ~20 feet you are pushing it. From there you can back off a bit, but, equalize at the merest hint of pressure buildup.
If you can't equalize easily, ascend a bit until you can. DO NOT EVER force it.

Practice out of the water. Technique is the same. Newer divers tend to get task loaded. This has to be an automatic and easily performed task.

[I would cover my nose and blow]. Right idea but technique is important. You don't want to BLOW, you want to 'PUFF'. Be gentle. If you have to blow....hard, you are potentially going to over pressurize when it does equalize. THAT can cause just as much damage.
LOOK UP - too many people look down which pinches off the Eustachian canal and significantly increased equalization difficulty.
Tilt the 'problem ear' UP. One ear is always a bit more of a problem. This stretches the Eustachian canal more and further helps.
Equalize 'early and often'. If you go more than 2 feet, that right, 2 feet from the surface without equalizing, down to ~20 feet you are pushing it. From there you can back off a bit, but, equalize at the merest hint of pressure buildup.
If you can't equalize easily, ascend a bit until you can. DO NOT EVER force it.

Practice out of the water. Technique is the same. Newer divers tend to get task loaded. This has to be an automatic and easily performed task.
This is worth emphasising. Too many people wait too long and the damage is done.

From physics (hydrodynamics) point of view, tiny hole would only delay the pressure build up. It will eventually reach the local pressure. The slow rate of pressure built up may help to equalize easier.
No expert here of course, but if the pressure build up is delayed, would that not mean the pain is also delayed? This may cause a diver to continue to descend--when things "catch up" could that mean even a worse situation than if the pain started when it normally would without the plugs? I suppose if the diver using the plugs descends VERY slowly (even if no pain at all) all pain could be eliminated?
I'm fuzzy on the physics. My reasoning may be completely backwards.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom