EPl-1... talk me out of or reassure...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KelnKelp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've got a nice $500 check from the dive shop in my wallet, and am hoping to finally purchase the EPL-1 that everyone is talking about to take the step up from my point & shoot that I am no longer happy with.

I have always been a Canon person, but the allure of interchangeable lenses, and the popularity of the EPL-1 really caught my attention. I've played with it briefly in the camera shop, and it seems pretty good, though I am not used to the system at all, so I realize I'll have some learning time, which is fine since I won't be able to get the housing for a bit.

I like the reviews i've been reading on pic quality, and ease of use. I like that it has a larger sensor, and the interchangeable lenses (get more versatility in the long run hopefully since I will never be able to afford an SLR system that I would like to have...I need photo and video in one package since I am fickle and often switch between the two mid-dive).

What worries me is the focusing, there have been many gripes about the kit lens being slow to focus and that would be my main lens for awhile as it will take a bit to gather the $$ for housing, gears, new strobes and the video/focus light i'd like to have and then start buying more lenses/dome ports, etc.

SO.... help me out, as a newbie to more complex UW photography setups, should I take this step, or is the focusing problem an issue that I should wait to be solved (i just read the other post about a new EPL1 being released in Japan with a better lens...but realize that it will be probably close to a year before that hits the states if its only being released in Japan in April....i also "get it" that there will always be something new coming out soon and i could wait forever and never purchase, etc...) Also, I like the fact that they are planning a wide, macro and fisheye lens, and eventually the purchase of those would make the focusing problems not problems anymore (i assume...they'll be faster lenses than the kit but could be wrong).

Anyways help me out here, this is a big step for me, and I want to make it the right one and not be cursing myself and have a camera that i'm not happy with. (I've played with it in the store, and it seems good, and the focusing seems fine (i can see the issues of focusing while trying to video, not good at all, but I usually don't need to re-focus mid shot). Thanks for any help and tips. -K
(sorry also if this is similar to several of the other posts out there)

Olympus' customer service sucks spectacularly, IMO.

I haven't found the focusing concern to be an issue at all when using the e-pl1 underwater.
I too switch often between stills and video during dives.
Yes, the noisy kit lens focusing and the 'searching' might be a concern for video, but for most U/W video you should set and forget and turn the sound off.. I eventually did that.
I'm not sure why you are unhappy with your current system. If you could share that, then perhaps we will be able to help more.
All I can say is that I like the e-pl1 so far and can't wait to use it again. I would love to get under the waves in the kelp gardens out your way.

Some example pictures and video here
Sipadan

You also need to keep in mind that for the most part none of the DSLRs even the high end ones are able to do video in anything but manual focus. The new 14-42II kit lens is reported to have resolved the focus noise in AF with internal focus.

Phil Rudin

Yes, Thanks all! As for video, I don't typically try to refocus mid shot. I set my focus, shoot my footage, then reset for the next, so i'm not worried about that.

I currently just have a Canon 870IS w/ ikelight AF35 strobe. It works well enough, i'm just looking for more quality, and ability to do more wide shots, planning to get dual strobes so that I can work more on my lighting, I just can't get the quality with the point and shoot camera, but don't have the money to spend to really get the dSLR system that would allow photo and video (heck, I couldn't afford body, 1 lens and a housing for a dSLR, which is why I'm lookign at the more advanced compact cameras).

I just get very nervous taking that next big step and i've read so much pro and con about the camera that I just wanted to toss my concerns out there before I take the leap. I'm hoping to try and find a good deal on black Friday, but we'll see...

Olympus' customer service sucks spectacularly, IMO.

I have to strongly disagree. My wife owns the Olympus tough and had to return it twice.
Flooding and locking up.
They were quick informative and took care of the warranty issues without an issue. Also paid for shipping both times.
Two brand new cameras

The smaller sised "EPL-1s" wil be hitting the Japanese market on 4th Dec 2010.

The smaller sized "EPL-1s" will be hitting the Japanese market on 4th Dec 2010.
Nope.. Not smaller.. the new lens is a bit lighter. It is scheduled to arrive in Japan in April.

Olympus E-PL1S is a slightly improved PEN, world's lightest with interchangeable lenses -- Engadget

Olympus launches enhanced kit lens on Japan-only E-PL1s: Digital Photography Review

The lens may be available much sooner, so a combo with body only + new lens might be possible at a premium.
Also, if the ISO improvement is a software change, I will be waiting to see if that update will be available for existing cameras eventually.

I stand corrected about the size difference. As Frank says, all dimensions and weight are exactly the same.

As for the release date, the Oly's official webpage says 4th Dec 2010.

Following the link, you should find the following characters to the left of the red EPL1s picture.

発売日 2010年12月4日

This is the release date, and since the Japanese calendar reads YYYY年MM月DD日, this reads 2010 Dec 4. I'm suspecting the guys at Endgadget mistook 12月4日 as 12th April.

As for the release date, the Oly's official webpage says 4th Dec 2010.

Following the link, you should find the following characters to the left of the red EPL1s picture.

発売日 2010年12月4日

This is the release date, and since the Japanese calendar reads YYYY年MM月DD日, this reads 2010 Dec 4. I'm suspecting the guys at Endgadget mistook 12月4日 as 12th April.
I'll bet you are correct about the mistake in reading the dates. 6 months lead time sounds like way to long for such an announcement.

Back
Top Bottom