EOS Rebel XT Advice Needed (Lenses/Housing, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cowboyneal,

I have the same Rebel XT, I also have the Ikelite housing for much the same reasons bandit_TX quotes.

My previous camera was an Olympus 8080 which flooded due to a mechanical fault on the Olympus housing's port clips (they broke off, without being knocked or subject to any unusual strain).

Olymus have yet to pay me a cent, and I'm down about US$1,000 and not happy about it.

Hearing about people who have faith in what they produce and back that up with action is also a reason why I chose Salvo for my can light.

The call on the Canon was made after seeing Diver Dennis' shots. I hate him.

bandit_TX:
The addition of DEPP insurance is nice for a new manufacturer to give people some confidence to purchase.

I will say that Ikelite, without insurance, fully backs all of their products to the hilt. If it floods and the housing is defective, Ike will make you whole. They also go far beyond typical warrantee service to make customers happy. This includes shipping loaner equipment to far off locations when necessary. I love my Ikelite housing for the 20D. I second the choice of the 60 EF-S macro for a first lense. It not only does fine macro work, it also is just right for fish portraits. I think it is a more versatile choice than the 100 Macro that I also shoot. The 10-22 EF-S is a fine choice for wide angle and is a nice topside lense as well. The Ikelite DS-125 paired with the Ikelite housing gives true eTTL-II flash control with power to spare. This can be the difference between getting shots and not getting them, especially for a new underwater shooter.

As always, check resellerratings on any online store to see reviews and ratings.

Camerapros sounds like just another Brooklin clip joint to me, low initial price, when yoou order they want to sell you expensive add-ons, etc.

But make up your own mind.

well I just bought a 400D body out here in Hong Kong for under $700 (but it's a parallel import Japanese model). The shop I buy my cameras from has been good to me on various lenses and bodies so I figured I'd save a few $$ and go with the grey market one. Actually the 1st 400D they gave me ended up having one small bad red pixel on LCD. Could barely notice it only on dark photos but they swapped it for me, no questions asked.

Edit: for reference the official int'l warrantied Canon 400D body goes for around $750 in Hong Kong.

Only spent a day with it but its a nice little camera and that big LCD is such an improvement over the old 350D LCD... AND the newer AF is really nice with the Canon f/2.8 lenses. Plus it fits my Sea & Sea 350D housing... :D

:bananalama:

pakman:
well I just bought a 400D body out here in Hong Kong for under $700 (but it's a parallel import Japanese model). The shop I buy my cameras from has been good to me on various lenses and bodies so I figured I'd save a few $$ and go with the grey market one. Actually the 1st 400D they gave me ended up having one small bad red pixel on LCD. Could barely notice it only on dark photos but they swapped it for me, no questions asked.

Edit: for reference the official int'l warrantied Canon 400D body goes for around $750 in Hong Kong.

Only spent a day with it but its a nice little camera and that big LCD is such an improvement over the old 350D LCD... AND the newer AF is really nice with the Canon f/2.8 lenses. Plus it fits my Sea & Sea 350D housing... :D :bananalama:

SWEET. i wonder if it fits the ikelite 350d housing. im guessing not since they're making a new one.

ChattaMasterDiver... just a quick google search showing tons of complaints.

matva:
SWEET. i wonder if it fits the ikelite 350d housing. im guessing not since they're making a new one.

Sadly it doesn't look like it will according to some post over at wetpixel.com. I think some of the members there tried to put a 400D in their 350D ikelite without success. but I wouldn't be surprised if Ike announces a new housing shortly...

After having the 400D for a couple of weeks now, I have a couple comments, all land based ‘cause I don’t have an housing yet.

The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 that come with the kit is not a great lens. I’ve only taken around 40 pictures, but things are not as sharp as I wish they were. My Nikon 5700 that I’ve had for 4 years is much sharper with its glass lens. But, what do you want for a $139 lens.

Canon makes 2 other similar albeit more expensive equivalents:

EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM at around $500
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM at about $1000

The later is awesome I’m sure, but it’s too rich for me with my other wants.

A friend has the first which I’m going to try and can afford.

I think this shows that the Rebel XTi with the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM would be preferable to the 30D with the kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 on a $1500 budget!

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom