EOS Rebel XT Advice Needed (Lenses/Housing, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to buy the 350D and then I heard about the 400D. I'm going to get this camera as soon as they come. I think the +++ in this camera makes it worthwhile!

Even though there are no housings now, you can bet they will come soon. I will need some land time learning the camera anyway. So for now it'll be my A75.

Great thread will all the lens and dome info!!!!

hmm i wonder if there will be some way to modify the 350d housing to accomodate the 400d. i was at bestbuy today and the two cameras are very similar in size/layout. one thing to note is that with the new 400d, the 350d housing might start selling cheaper secondhand.

i'm going to wait and see how much the 400d housing is going to sell for. Ikelite has one listed, but it isn't available yet.

what do you guys think about the kit included Canon 18-55mm EF-S lens?

any sample of images? It is cheap (+included) and will work with the 60mm (the lens im thinking of getting) ikelite dome port. I'm thinking of using for just general shooting both above and underwater.

i should probably post this in the strobe section, but what do you guys think about 1 strobe vs 2 strobe for macro / closeup stuff? As mentioned earlier, i prefer closeup shooting... how will 1 strobe perform here? i'm learning highly towards the DS-125

matva -

on the strobe thing...I've been shooting single strobe for ages and seem to do just fine with my very close-ups and with controlling what I want to have happen.

seaspider2c.jpg

There are advantages to single strobe: lighter, smaller, less hassles, fewer batteries, less things to go wrong, can get in smaller places... There are disadvantages: less coverage, harsh shadows, less flexibility...

If you can afford it, maybe get a second strobe. Personally, I was quite happy to add more lenses & more diving and things before even considering a second strobe for the past several years. I used to shoot with two strobes back in the day. I don't miss the second one mostly. And learning to work with any of the limitations of the single will hold me in good steed for doubles, too.

As for the 18-55, it's a respectable lens. If it's a good deal, you might as well...it might help you decide which other lenses will suit you before you buy. I didn't get the kit option (either of them) as I knew which lenses I wanted and it made more sense for me to simply use that small difference towards what I really wanted.

matva:
what do you guys think about the kit included Canon 18-55mm EF-S lens?

any sample of images? It is cheap (+included) and will work with the 60mm (the lens im thinking of getting) ikelite dome port. I'm thinking of using for just general shooting both above and underwater.

i should probably post this in the strobe section, but what do you guys think about 1 strobe vs 2 strobe for macro / closeup stuff? As mentioned earlier, i prefer closeup shooting... how will 1 strobe perform here? i'm learning highly towards the DS-125

These were taken with the 18-55 lens, Canon 20D, Aquatica housing with a flat port.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/548509570Mbmcxd

So what would be a 'normal' time for them to come out with a housing for a new model like the XTi. I'm sure they work on it as soon as it's released...couple of months?

At least a couple of months. And there may be waiting lists to consider, too. And you'd be a guinea pig for any tweaks that will need to be made (which does happen quite a bit with new model housings). If you're happy to wait, this looks like a really nice camera.

But the current model will work just fine and will take ages to outgrow, too.

American = [Wants] Bigger, Better, Faster, More...hahaa...I actually was friends with a girl in the band who did that album...what was the name of that band? Oh yeah, 4 non-blondes....

Something to consider (what you said)...but that XTi looks killer though (see, here I go with my "upgrades" on the way to that porsche....)

I hitched into the want..want..want idea and turned it into a buy..buy..buy.

Went to Bestbuy today and got the XTi. Good deal 0% for 24mo.

I just got my new housing for the XT/350D on Friday - I was waiting for it for almost 2 months!! I'm so happy - I bought the Hugyfot housing and I love it. It really looks great (originally German company, now I think, it's Belgian). I decided for it because I wanted a metal housing. I looked for one with a hand tab (hope this is the right word) on the right side which makes it very easy for me to hold it with my rather small hands (my former had no tabs or handles). It's very comfortable to hold it one-handed and press the shutter release which is situated just in front of the tab.

Concerning lenses: I have a Canon 100 mm macro which I used with my analog EOS 300 before. It's a great lens, very fast. Furthermore, a Sigma 50 mm macro (also had it before). For wide-angle, I now bought the Sigma 15 mm fisheye. My dealer told me it might be the slightly better choice than a wide-angle zoom lens. So far, I had the Canon 20 mm which is not a "real" wide-angle anymore with the cropped digital camera.

Will try it out on Thursday in one of our cold but beautiful lakes... before I pack my bags and go to Indonesia in two weeks - yippeah! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom