environmental seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaro

Reaction score
# of dives
Just purchased an environmental kit for my regulator. I was advised to fill it with alcohol but may I use a silicone grease instead ? Any advices ?

Thank you !

jaro once bubbled...
Just purchased an environmental kit for my regulator. I was advised to fill it with alcohol but may I use a silicone grease instead ? Any advices ? !
My advice is to follow the recommendation of the manufacturer. My Atomics has Christolube --- a rather expensive O2 compatible grease.

Charlie

jaro once bubbled...
Just purchased an environmental kit for my regulator. I was advised to fill it with alcohol but may I use a silicone grease instead ? Any advices ?

Thank you !

What kind of a reg is it?

R..

It sounds like a Poseidon.
I always used Everclear or some other clear liquor, like rum or vodka.
Rubber flavored rum isn't half bad as an after dive shot. :tease:

Stick with the alcohol, if you use grease there may still be pockets or voids that water could concievably get into.

Hallmac

Thanks for informations. To be more specific here are some answers to your questions:
- the kit is bought from a retailer and the advice to fill it with alcohol came from the shop assistant whom I actually didn't understand very well as he was able to speak german only (my proficiency in german is just at basic level )
- following the model I manufactured some more kits ( using bronze instead of stainless steel ) which iI want to put on my kits. The regulators , " soon to be e-sealed " are made by Mares and SporaSub.
- reason why I wanted to stick with silicone grease is that it may be easier to work with ( don't leak ) and in the other hand , I already have a grease that I'm using to lubricate the O-rings on my equipment.

I will analize carefully and will welcome any suggestion ( negative or positive ).

So , anymore advices ?

The silicone grease will work fine, but: 1.It's very messy and 2.It can become a problem with lots of ocean diving/sand.
Alcohol will probably work best and if it ever comes to a surface survival issue..............................................................................

The regs are to be used for inland diving in a fresh water. I decided I'll try that silicone grease. Thanks to all who answered my question ..... and am still open to further advices. Jaro

This type of seal always uses EFA supreme silicone oil to the best of my knowledge and the kits usually come with it.

I have never heard of anyone using silicone grease, except in piston regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom