Enquiry about buying dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dobie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello. I'm going to the Philippines next month and wonder if anyone can tell me how easy it is to buy dive gear while I'm there? I'm starting in Dumaguete, but will probably travel to other locations too. Many thanks.

Should probably add that I'm specifically after boot fins - does anyone have an idea on availability and price so I can compare? Thanks!

Last edited:
You can easily buy gear in the Philippines. The Prices are comparable to what I would have to pay here in the US., but there can be bargains found. At the end of our 2005 trip, I found 3mm wetsuits is a shop on a clearance rack for $25-$27. I got one for me and one for my wife.
Keep an eye on the exchange rates, and be sure you can get the gear serviced were you live. Most of the Reg's were Scuba-Pro or Mares, but there may be others. Fins, masks, snorkels etc are universal in the need to service, (not really needed, just replaced when broke).

Thanks, h2odragon1 - but I'm not from the US. I'm after a ballpark figure of prices in Pesos so that I can compare them against prices in Europe and Fiji. I'm need a pair of boot fins (not slip-ons) and perhaps a wetsuit: long, 3mm.

Most dive shops here quote prices in USD. Cheapest full wet suit I have seen (generic 3mm) is 3500 PHP in Nautilus Dive Shop in Arnaiz Avenue Makati City. Booties cost from 600 to 3000 PHP.

Thanks, Pao. I want a pair of boot fins - not booties. In other words: a pair of fins that you wear with booties.
If the dive shops quote prices in USD that's okay - I asked for prices in Pesos because I'm not from the US, so when someone says 'prices are similar to the US' it means nothing to me.

Thanks, Pao. I want a pair of boot fins - not booties. In other words: a pair of fins that you wear with booties.
If the dive shops quote prices in USD that's okay - I asked for prices in Pesos because I'm not from the US, so when someone says 'prices are similar to the US' it means nothing to me.
oh! open-heel fins! (poteyto, potahto... same banana)

I think the cheapest I saw were IST fins at about 2500/pair... or was it 1500/pair... but it was pretty cheap...

Mares Avantis go for about 4000 i believe... so Cressis and similar branded ones would be in that range as well...

OMS Slipstreams are about 6000... scubapro jets i don't know... but they're not cheap

what type you looking for? advantage of shopping in the philippines vs. the US or europe is we get some decent stuff from taiwan as well (orca, IST, blue something... a couple other brands) w/c in my opinion are great for inexpensive accessories, doodads and the odd fin

Jag

PS
contact gordon at scubastop...he can set you up

Thanks Shugar (or do I call you Jag? Sorry, don't know the protocol!)

I don't have a particular brand in mind - but I do want reasonable quality because fins are hard to replace where I live.

The prices you've quoted sound fine, so I'm sure I'll be able to find what I want. (Looking forward to diving in the Philippines next month!)

We usually go by our nicknames, so just call him Bakla or Bading or taba. Jag is also fine. :)

Specifically in Dumaguete, there is Scuba Ventures Dive Shop run by Snoopy that you can check out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom