Eneloop v other NiMh batteries for S-2000 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought an Inon S-2000 and am now trying to figure out if I should get the sanyo eneloop batteries (2000 power rating) or check out some of the other ones that also can be used with this camera. I have found the delkin R23RTU and the power rating is 2500.

Would appreciate any feedback from those of you using this strobe, the batteries you are using and how long you are able to shoot before changing them out. (I know that the flash output factors into how long the batteries last)... just want an idea of if it is worth it to get the higher power rated batteries or not. :blinking:

I am using the s2000 and would recommend any of the low internal discharge batteries, I have variously used the eneloops, the Delkins (not the ones you are looking at but the 2300 mAh ones. Higher power ratings are in themselves a poor surrogate for number of flashes. With the 2300 mAh Delkins (Thomas Distributing) I get at least 2 and usually three dives (mostly at least half and usually 3/4 power) shooting several hundred flashes. Typically about 60 shots per dive in SO Cal (where it is cold) and more than 60 in warmer waters.

Bill

I just bought an Inon S-2000 and am now trying to figure out if I should get the sanyo eneloop batteries (2000 power rating) or check out some of the other ones that also can be used with this camera. I have found the delkin R23RTU and the power rating is 2500.

Would appreciate any feedback from those of you using this strobe, the batteries you are using and how long you are able to shoot before changing them out. (I know that the flash output factors into how long the batteries last)... just want an idea of if it is worth it to get the higher power rated batteries or not. :blinking:

If you look in the instructions you might see that Eneloop are the only rechargeables recommended, I have that in mine (instructions) anyway. Regardless, they are the battery of choice for that strobe and work great in cameras that use AA cells as well. The Duracell "Pre-Charged" is essentially the same cell and more readily available. I use it and the Eneloops interchangeably. In fact, the Duracell Pre-Charged seem to perform exactly the same if not better.

Per instructions from Inon, other types of rechargeable cells may cause overheating, whatever, the Duracells work great but if you already have invested in Eneloops you did good.

Do not be fooled by the lower power rating of Eneloops and Duracell Pre-Charged, they actually maintain a higher voltage longer and are the cell you want to use.

N

I've got a D2000 and use MAHA Powerex 2700 mAH without any problem.

I am actually away on a fishing/diving/boating trip but I do have somewhere a warning not to use any rechargeable cell other than the Eneloop from Inon. However, since the Duracell Pre-Charged has virtually identical specifications I feel safe using it, others, up to you. N

The D2000 has a different charging circuit than the S2000 and older cells are fine. In fact they are probably fine in the s2000 as well, BUT there have been some floods due to heating up cells during discharge and investing $10 in some recommended batteries is a reasonable investment for a $400 strobe. As has been pointed out a bunch here and in other places, battery capacity claims (2500 mAh etc) are merely guidelines based on a single type of measurement; what is important is how the batteries act in the situation that you are using. In my hands and in many others, the low internal discharge batteries can power more flashes than other batteries with higher nominal ratings. It is also important to charge your batteries correctly. Fast chargers (the 15 minute to 30 minute kind) are notoriously hard on batteries. Seems like a minor point, especially to those who already have a charger, but if a strobe floods on a $6000 trip to Indonesia because you wanted to save $10 on batteries, or if your $10 batteries fail after 30 charges because you used a cheapo charger then you have only yourself to blame. There will be quite a few folk who claim to use their 12 year old, 39 cent batteries in their strobes with no problems, but that's a bet I think is silly and personally won't take.

Bill

Well, I'm newbe here and let me to add my 5 cnt. to this discussion.
Let's check the Sanyo Eneloop user guide at manufacturer website at eneloop.info

And we see there:

Could this statement be correct for strobes also?
I'm totally confused :confused:

Attachments

• eneloop.jpg
    eneloop.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 151
Let's check the Sanyo Eneloop user guide at manufacturer website at eneloop.info

And we see there:

That was pretty interesting reading! Inon specifically lists eneloop as the recommended batteries for the S-2000, along with a few other low discharge ones as well. If you go to the Reef Photo site and view the info on this strobe, there's a list of batteries that they recommend for use with it.

I have bought 4 of the duracell and 4 of the eneloop. Another friend of mine suggested I pick up the delrin low discharge as well. I have a slow battery charger that I bought a few years ago from Thomas which I will be using with them.

And we see there:

I believe that they (the Sanyo folks) are talking about continuous use devices like underwater torches and such. Talking to the strobe design engineers, the only time the batteries are used is for charging and for the focus light (z240, not the s2000 which doesn't have one) and Inon suggests limiting the time frame for using the focus light.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom