Eneloop Users - Any Issues Underwater ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzikbiz22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings all,

First off, thanks to all of you that post regularly. This forum, and it's members are such an invaluable tool for education, tips, pointers, etc.

So, I'm ready to get some re-chargeable's for my camera, strobe, etc., and I'm looking hard at the Eneloop's. Lot's of people post here how great they are, which I believe. If you go to the eneloop website, it states not to use on underwater lamps because they are airtight and may prevent potential gas from the batteries, from being diffused. I suppose that could be said for ANY battery. With that said, anyone ever have ANY issues with Eneloops or any of the other re-chargeables ?

Muzikbiz22, in So. Cal.

They work great and are the recommended battery for Inon strobes. They are also excellent in certain Canon P&S cameras.

N

No issues -- as long as your strobe's battery compartment doesn't flood.

If it does flood -- BOOM! -- watch out when you open the battery cover!

I *think* some battery chemistries can release hydrogen gas under certain conditions (hot? damp? recently dropped? only during charging?) which would then tend to explosive combustion if there are sparks or electrical switches around. The amount of hydrogen would be small, but it might still wreck the housing or seal. I have no idea about Enloops specifically, but maybe the company is just pointing out a low risk or low probability problem.

I use eneloops in my INON strobes and torches and haven't had any problems at all.

Work great in my YS-90 and now in my Sealife strobes.

I *think* some battery chemistries can release hydrogen gas under certain conditions (hot? damp? recently dropped? only during charging?) which would then tend to explosive combustion if there are sparks or electrical switches around. The amount of hydrogen would be small, but it might still wreck the housing or seal. I have no idea about Enloops specifically, but maybe the company is just pointing out a low risk or low probability problem.

No, they are concerned about overheating and high resistence.

The "pre-charged" type cells including the Eneloops perform very well and despite several attempts by various people to prove to the contrary, they were unsuccessful in doing so. The pre-charged type cells, Eneloops and including the Duracell Pre-charged specifically, perform very well in Inon strobes and cameras and in some cases out last supposedly higher capacity cells.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom