Encyclopedia of Underwater Investigations and Correspondence Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Michaud SELAUSAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have seen reference to this book and course on this board. I have purchased the manual and it is really a great book. I purchased the course book hoping to use it for my local PSD team at minimal costs and without having to send people away for school. I cannot find out what happens next with it. Can anyone tell me if there is a certificate available and where it needs to be sent, or if it is for knowledge only? A course I took in 2002 from Harrison Cty. S.O. used portions of this book and stuff from elsewhere. Thanks, Mark (diverecoveries@charter.net)

Good choice.

There should have been a pinkish sheet in with the workbook. If not get ahold of DRI.

Gary D.

Good choice.

There should have been a pinkish sheet in with the workbook. If not get ahold of DRI.

Gary D.
No pink sheet. DRI? Dive Rescue Int'l? I got it at Barnes and Noble here in Louisiana. Thanks.

You should have 2 books in your possession. One is the text book and the other is the work book which used to include a pinkish color authorization sheet.

Once you complete the work book and answer sheet you send it to DRI for grading and they send you a certificate if you pass it.

NOTE: Not all the answers are in the book. You need to do a bit of research on your own as well.

Call DRI and make sure things haven’t changed. Total cost was right in the neighborhood of $98.00 for the books and certificate. It’s a very affordable load of knowledge.

Gary D.

It is a great book but it is becoming a bit dated. There are new advanced, information and procedures that you won't find in there that are really valuable.

I'd recommend this class
Homicide

I've had the benefit of seeing it (or parts of it) 3 times in different areas of North America. The feedback from the participants is always the same; "the best in-water investigations class seen/taken" (including members of the RCMP!), particularly for LEOs and PSD.
Andrea has some very "interesting" info that few know about - it'll shock you!

Mark,

Please contact the Dive Rescue International office at 800-248-3493. They can walk you through the process and if you are missing some paperwork, they can help you out.

Bob Teather (the author) was a tremendous wealth of knowledge and ALL of his material was passed along to Bill Heckler who continues in Bob's footsteps. Bill can teach 1, 2, and 3 day Underwater Investigator programs. If you host the program, a certain number of your personnel can attend at "no charge." You can learn more about this process by calling the office and asking about you could host this program or other programs of interest.

Regards,

Blades Robinson

Mark,

Please contact the Dive Rescue International office at 800-248-3493. They can walk you through the process and if you are missing some paperwork, they can help you out.

Bob Teather (the author) was a tremendous wealth of knowledge and ALL of his material was passed along to Bill Heckler who continues in Bob's footsteps. Bill can teach 1, 2, and 3 day Underwater Investigator programs. If you host the program, a certain number of your personnel can attend at "no charge." You can learn more about this process by calling the office and asking about you could host this program or other programs of interest.

Regards,

Blades Robinson
Thanks, I will call tomorrow. I wasn't aware that you guys hosted this. I bought this from Barnes and Nobles with the intent of seeing if it matched the training I have paid for myself. If it looks good I will find a way for everyone on the team to get this stuff. Our team has a zero budget, mostly due to Katrina. I am trying to get some exposure and training certs for my guys until funds are available. I have been doing all of the diving since 1995 and we have finally been able to put some guys on, but again, zero budget at this time. Most of what we do is evidence as there is not a lot of recreational water in our jurisdiction. A few years down the road we should have a budget, but we are still a few years from being where we were before the storm. I appreciate your response. Mark Michaud

As with what Blades said the LGS course works sort of the same way - you can probably have your whole team participate for free. Don't limit yourself - follow the link and phone them up
I admit I don't know much about the DRI pogram but if it is a mirror of the Teather book then theres alot more to know. You'd have no trouble getting 50 or more people into one of the LGS classes down there - you'd probably actually generate $ for your team

Blades - Who is Bill Heckler? Is he RCMP somewhere as well?

Back
Top Bottom