Emergency ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CESA from 60' was an AOW requirement when I was initially certified. We would regularly practice from 80' and I have performed one as deep as 115'. Successful execution is 90% mental, yet the element of risk can't really be eliminated.

The amount of air in your lungs is not so important. Even residual lung volume would expand quickly enough to allow for a comfortable ascent at a safe rate.

There is no good reason for performing CESA. Far better to practice gas planning and proper buddy skills.

I dread the recurring CESA threads. The last time it came up it morphed into something about emergency procedures in caves and wrecks.

There did seem to be general consensus that because of its risks, CESA should be practiced sparingly if at all, and the drill time is best used practicing other skills.

I went through CESA training in O/W class....then practiced a few times after that, also reviewed its possible use during some additional advanced courses....these simple items will go along way to avoid having to resort to the CESA: basic dive planning//gas mang. planning//gear upkeep//redundant gas source//common sense.

My first ever CESA (seeing, practice or performed) was on my PADI IDC.

When I took the OW cert class the instructor had us do a CESA horizontally in the pool. It was a 25 yard pool and we tried to see how far we could go before running out of breath. Of course that was a lot different than doing one at depth. I sort of like doing them from 30 feet down but the instructor who was observing me at the time didn't want to do too many on the the same day. She was worried about what she called a yo-yo-effect. Anyway, thank all of you who came up with any 'useful' information and also to those of you who kept pounding the dead horse that we should not get into a situation which required a CESA. Believe it or not, accidents do happen you know.

I have done one from a little over 60 feet and one from a bit deeper shall I say. Neither were a problem. The first was after a OOA problem long, long ago, a complicated story and the other I followed divers down, myself free diving, in 120 feet, breathing from one and then the other, followed them around on the bottom for five minutes or so and then departed to the surface. I was able to exhale all the way to the surface to the group at 10 feet where I took a few breaths for a safety "pause" and then surfaced--it was awfully fun. I have done that before and since but never that deep. Who needs a heavy scuba tank when you can get the other guys to carry them for you--lol.

N

I have done one from a little over 60 feet and one from a bit deeper shall I say. Neither were a problem. The first was after a OOA problem long, long ago, a complicated story and the other I followed divers down, myself free diving, in 120 feet, breathing from one and then the other, followed them around on the bottom for five minutes or so and then departed to the surface. I was able to exhale all the way to the surface to the group at 10 feet where I took a few breaths for a safety "pause" and then surfaced--it was awfully fun. I have done that before and since but never that deep. Who needs a heavy scuba tank when you can get the other guys to carry them for you--lol.

N

That is funny, I had a buddy who would do this in the caves in FL a long time ago. The first time I felt a disturbance in the water behind me in a cavern and this bulky thing reaching for my reg I had visions of some giant humanoid catfish after me....

Back
Top Bottom