EM5 and TG6 in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing.

Fantastic report and great pix!

Hi Jim great shots and crystal clear water. I couldn't pick the difference between EM5 and TG6 both seem very sharp.

Makes me wonder how much sharper do you want a camera and lens to be?

Hi Jim great shots and crystal clear water. I couldn't pick the difference between EM5 and TG6 both seem very sharp.

Makes me wonder how much sharper do you want a camera and lens to be?

I agree. I have friends who are chasing megapixels. I keep asking them, what are you going to do with your images? If you are going to blow them up to billboard size then go for it, but if you are going to post them on the web you don't need that level of camera.

IMHO, smaller is better - a 4/3rds mirrorless camera or a great point-and-shoot like the TG6.

Back in the day, I loved my Oly C5050 but hated the shutter lag and slow focus. The TG6 is getting close to "perfection,." if Olympus would add manual mode...

The really great thing about the TG6 is its size. When shooting WA with the EM5 + 8mm FE, I carried the TG6 just in case I saw something tiny on the dive. Microscope mode is great without add on diopters.

I tried a friend's WA adapter with the TG6 in the PT-059 housing with impressive results. When I retire the EM5 I think I'll go that route.

upload_2020-1-22_15-26-27.png

I agree. I have friends who are chasing megapixels. I keep asking them, what are you going to do with your images? If you are going to blow them up to billboard size then go for it, but if you are going to post them on the web you don't need that level of camera.

IMHO, smaller is better - a 4/3rds mirrorless camera or a great point-and-shoot like the TG6.

Back in the day, I loved my Oly C5050 but hated the shutter lag and slow focus. The TG6 is getting close to "perfection,." if Olympus would add manual mode...

The really great thing about the TG6 is its size. When shooting WA with the EM5 + 8mm FE, I carried the TG6 just in case I saw something tiny on the dive. Microscope mode is great without add on diopters.

I tried a friend's WA adapter with the TG6 in the PT-059 housing with impressive results. When I retire the EM5 I think I'll go that route.

View attachment 563166

I have the same tray as in your photo, and quite love it. Where did you get the ball mount for the housing hot shoe? I've been playing with mounting locations for my video light, currently on one ball arm as I only use one strobe at the moment (macro, scootering).

If Oly would put a 1 inch CCD in it instead of the tiny little thing and a full manual control they might well have the prefect UW camera. The TG5/6 are very nice cameras, especially for macro and in part due to the tiny sensor. I understand (actual) professionals using full frame dSLRs or mirrorless but for most of us, it is not just overkill, it is way overkill.

It is funny, in the digital world it seems many lust for "full frame" which is a sensor the same as a 35mm film camera which was considered quite small in film days when we lusted for a 2.25 inch full frame camera. A 35mm was just a miniature camera. Pros shot 2.25 square format. Only amateurs went with those little bitty 35mm jobs. It is beginning to get like the clock speed of computer processors, nobody cares anymore because they can get good photos from a sensor the size of a pin head in their iPhone. The pixel density is reaching a point where it simply exceeds the capability of the human eye to distinguish, thus the Retina vision concept I am viewing now on my Mac Book Pro.

The TG5 and 6 are producing outstanding photos.
N

If Oly would put a 1 inch CCD in it instead of the tiny little thing and a full manual control they might well have the prefect UW camera.

A 1" sensor would require a much bigger lens, which would need to extend out of the camera body, which would be much more difficult to keep waterproof. SeaLife DC2000 uses a 1" sensor from Sony RX100 III, and they were only able to fit it with a fixed 31mm-equivalent (11.6mm actual) lens, as opposed to TG-series 25-100mm equivalent (4.5-18mm actual) zoom .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom