'em strobes, 'em strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the Ikelite DS125s are what you are looking for.

But, check back on this thread often as i am sure there will be some good arguments from Bob, Nikon, and Ron...:)

Spoon:
i want a strobe i can use now but one that will just be as good once i get my slrs in the future

I think Ikelite DS-125 should definitely be one of the strobes on your short list then.
The main feature I would want to look at when buying a strobe is power output (water guide number but this is tricky as the way guide number is measured is not always uniformed from one manufacturer to another), recycle time, number of flashes per charge. I would also want something that have a bit more than just half and full power setting.
Color temp is less important in my mind especially if you are shooting digital with RAW file, I think.
As of right now, TTL, especially for dSLR is not a big choice. With Ikelite, if you choose to go Ikelite housing route as well then you will be able to use TTL with some of the dSLR model. Subtronic is supposed to release a strobe that is compatible with Nikon i-TTL in the near future.
For future upgrade to dSLR, you definitely want a strobe that can be hardwired as well as trigger optically via internal flash. DS-125/DS-50 and Z220 fit this bill but I don't know about the smaller Inon strobe.
I don't consider Sea and Sea YS-90 as a good choice mainly because of its slow recycle time (about 4s, I believe). Not a big deal with PnS especially when you shoot RAW but it becomes a pain with dSLR.

I thought it might be helpful for those asking questions similar to the ones brought up by Ian and Spoon to expand on ssra30's insights.....

The main feature I would want to look at when buying a strobe is power output

Power output of a strobe can be expressed in several ways. Some manufacturers offer the Guide Number Rating, either topside, underwater, or both. Some measure in feet, others metric, a sensitivity of ISO 100 as an unwritten standard. Other manufacturers include the Watt second rating.

The Watt second rating expresses how much energy the storage capacitor can hold. This measurement is important because although two strobes may have a similar guide number rating, strobe "A" may be designed to spread that intensity over a much greater area (beam angle), necessitating much more reserve power than strobe "B". If your goal was wide angle, a high Watt Second rating combined with a high guide number rating would be desirable. If your goal was macro work, the capacitor's storage capacity would not necessarily have to be as great (smaller beam angle emitted requiring less energy consumed). Some manufacturers share the opinion that Watt second ratings are not as relevant as others. They stress efficiency in how the energy storage is utilized.

Topside guide numbers for strobes are derived by a simple process. An object is placed 10 feet from the strobe and camera in a dimly lit room. The strobe is set to full dump. The camera's sensitivity setting is set to ISO 100. A series of images are captured, varying the aperture while maintaining the proper shutter sync speed. Whichever aperture number offers the best exposure is then multiplied by the distance from strobe to subject (ten feet). The resulting number becomes the Guide Number.

For example, say f/6.3 offered the best exposed image, not too bright, not too dark. We would then multiply 6.3 times 10. That particular strobe would then be described as having a GN of 63, measured in feet (as opposed to measured in meters), ISO 100.

A formula that expresses this, commonly referred to as the Guide Number Formula looks like this:

GN=A*D
Guide Number equals Aperture times Distance

Because it is an equation, it can be written several ways in order to find any third variable when two are known. For instance:

A=GN/D

would also hold true as would

D=GN/A

In theory, the Guide Number formula holds true underwater within certain guidelines. The most powerful strobes can only effect their influence no more than 5-6 feet underwater. And at less than one foot underwater from strobe to subject, I've read that the GN formula is less effective.

If anyone wishes to expand on the guide number theory and it's use underwater, please start a new thread. I'd be happy to contribute what I (believe) I know :wink:

....recycle time, number of flashes per charge....

These numbers will vary by type of battery used (NiMH, Alkaline, NiCad, Lithium, etc), age of battery, and ambient temperature. The colder the water, the older the battery, the slower the recycle time, etc....

Also, full dumps are not always the norm, especially in macro work. So in practice, card writing time (with digital cameras) may also be a limiting factor~consideration.

I would also want something that have a bit more than just half and full power setting.

me too :). Especially if you enjoyed macro photography along with wide angle. Flexibility is a key with creative underwater photography. Although strobe to subject distances and diffusers add another level of control, the ease of keeping everything else constant and just turning a simple knob to limit intensity is much easier in actual underwater practice.

Color temp is less important in my mind especially if you are shooting digital with RAW file, I think.

I'd like to add, imho, color temp is more critical when mixing strobes of different Kelvin ratings. IOW, I'm not sure if having a 4800° main strobe with a 5700° fill strobe is a good idea. That said, I did it for a year and didn't lose any friends :).

One other point I'd like to offer. With regards to electronic devices, we dive in a harsh environment, under less than ideal conditions at times (read rocky shore dives, rinse tanks, and filled boats). I'd choose a strobe manufacturer with a record of customer support. I have received excellent support from InonAmerica and Ikelite in that regard. Possibly other divers could offer similar recommendations based upon that aspect of the "choosing the correct strobe" process.

First of all, thanks for all the replies and comments..and now:

I thought it was an easy question...(c8...Call me Rosie from now on (see inital question) or maybe not...
Just spent 'some' hours learning photo abbreviations - thank gawd for Google - what did we use before?

Not looking for proffessional results (yet) - just want the average pictures to come out better while learning....
(bobf - will get back to you on the formulas any decade now...(c8...)

Not really looking for anything with bells, whistles and coffee-making abilities - just a decent, fairly easy-to-operate strobe to get slightly better results..
Don't do much macro stuff yet - camera as it is now, isn't good enough, the strobe pours too much (probably white) light into the target area (probably too close), judging from results...
As you can probably deduce by now, I don't know the terminology but heck...

oh well...here we go...
price range: less than US500 (like f3Nikon said, why spend a lot while learning?) Will probably spend more later on, as my skills get better...
Camera: Samsung v70 in a clear housing, housing without connection points for cables so the strobe would be triggered by the camera's strobe
No TTL (or rather - right now I'm not at that level), the camera allows different aperture and shutter speed settings
the camera allows for different flash settings (from preflash to operating with a slow shutter speed) - it doesn't allow for a slave flash

it's not really until we start asking questions that we (I) realize how little we know...

Look in to these strobes:

http://www.bonicadive.com/webpages/page4.html $250 plus?

http://www.digifish.nl/en/equipment/strobes/sunpak.html $180

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=112751&page=1&pp=10

Forget about TTL or Through The Lens, I just found out that of ALL the digital cameras I just tested, not a single one had "TTL" as we know it.

You see a true TTL system, in film photography had a photo sensor placed inside the camera, pointing at the film plate. When light from the image enters the camera, via the lens on its way to the film, the light striking the film is reflected downward, towards the photo sensor.

The camera uses this information from the photo sensor to tell the strobe to say on or turn off, a true TTL system.

With digital cameras all use a CCD or CMOS chips instead if film, from the information I had recieved, CCD or CMOS chips unlike film, are not consistent enough in reflecting the light from the chip to the photo sensor.

The camera manufacturers then placed the photo sensor somewhere next to the camera's internal flash as a fix. So as we snap the picture the light travelling towards the subject is then reflected to the camera's lens and photo sensor Independently!

The photo sensor is not measuring the light entering the lens, it is measuring the light hitting just above the lens. Now this type of setup (auto mode) works most of the time with good results in exposure.

Until...we place the camera in an UW housing with a white diffuser blocking the flash! This is where the problem starts, when we fire the flash, light does shoot through the diffuser but some light is also reflected back to the photo sensors, sitting just millimeters away!

Telling the camera to shut off the flash to prevent over exposure! The only problem is that the light entering the camera's lens is not enough to properly expose the CCD or CMOS Chip! Causing UNDER exposed pictures!

Keep this a secret...but place a black electrical tape over the photo sensor as you see in pictures of the cameras I have tested.

Then take some pictures in manual or auto mode any aperture setting, subject distance of about two feet, if your camera is setup as I had describe. All you pictures will be OVER exposed, because the tape is preventing the light from striking the photo sensor.

Now we are cooking with gas! We have a fully manual full power strobe that we need to control, first with more diffusers for the rough control then with the aperture settings for the fine control.

Apply the tent method from this thread, you may have second thoughts about even going for an external strobe. I am work on a reflector method for wider angles.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=113411

The photo sensor for the flash is the dot above the "sh" on "Cyber-shot" label.

Dive Safe

cheers f3,
will try it out...
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom