EM-1 with 12-50mm and 12-40mm @ Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On our recent trip to Lembeh and Bunaken early August, we carried two cameras, EM-1 and EM-5 with lens 60mm macro, 12-50mm, 7-14mm, 12-40mm; ports 65 macro, 4” semi dome and 6” dome port. I asked my daughter to choose first, and she opted the EM-5 (she thought EM-5 is better than EM-1) with 60mm macro lens.

Lembeh is famous as macro/muck diving sites. I set the 12-50mm to macro mode at 43mm. I used the 4” semi dome port on first day diving, and the 65 macro on the second and third day.

Here is few shots with the 12-50mm at macro mode.

Squid 2 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

frogfish 2 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Nudi 6 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Ambon scorpionfish by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Mantis shrimp by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

In one occasion, just for my curiosity I tried the 12-40mm with 6” dome port since I don’t have the dedicated port for 12-40mm. No zoom gear - so the lens was set at 12mm.

Here is few shot with 12-40mm at 12mm.

Lembeh soft coral 2 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Melati in action by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Lembeh soft coral 3 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

12-40mm is a great lens with excellent performance. I love the 12-40mm for topsite, but I don’t think I’ll buy any dedicated port for 12-40mm and use it for UW.
More pictures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wisnupurwanto/sets/72157646491301087/

For the 60mm macro with EM-5 used by my daughter, check my other thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-outlet/490385-lembeh-em-5-w-60mm-macro.html

The EM-1 is better camera than EM-5, but the EM-5 with 60mm macro produce better IQ than EM-1 with 12-50mm.

Last edited:
Looks like a good trip!

Images are awesome!

I think the comparison in your last paragraph is really apple to oranges. I think you're saying that the 60mm has better image quality than the 12-50mm... I can see that. It's a great lens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thnx for sharing

Back
Top Bottom