Elevations on the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to plan my Big Island diving schedule this summer in conjunction with a couple other excursions we're taking on the island, and wondering how much elevation is a factor in driving to both Volcano Village, and the Waipio Valley. Is there a typical rule of thumb about traveling to these locations after diving? Is this even a concern?

Thanks,
Kevin

Yes, it can be a concern. Going through Wiamea ( SP, been gone a while) you will summit at 2600 feet, not a real big deal. Saddle road summits at over 6000, more of a big deal. Volcano village? Do you mean the park? You can also take the south road and get there without going over about 1200 feet.

Volcano village and the park entry are at 4000' so you've got at least that elevation to deal with right off the bat no matter how you drive there. I generally don't head east 'til the day after I dive just to be sure. There are plenty of things to do on the west side after a dive without elevation worries, and most people will want to make an entire day of any trip to the other side of the island anyway.

Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom