Elephant Butte???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shattenb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In desperation for a new dive site within driving distance of Albuquerque, I'm considering driving to Elephant Butte. I've heard it was good to dive the old hospital (which is now apparently high and dry). I've also heard people have tried to spearfish there. So has anyone actually dove EB recently? Depth? Viz? Is it worth the drive or should I just go back to the BH and Perch? Is there a best dive site(s) or is it all about the same? Is it true the viz is better down by the dam? Is there any truth to rumours of being able to spearfish? Any info would be appreciated...:confused:

So yes I was actually crazy enough to just dive Elephant Butte. The old hospital is about 50' above the water line, so I dove just to the west of it. Visibility was 3'. Yes, thats three feet (ands thats generous). Below about 30' it was effectively zero viz. So I stayed in about 20-30 feet of water and went real slow so as not to crash into rocks appearing out of the mist. I did see at least 6 large fish, but was not succesful in spearing any. The best I can say is I did it, but I wouldn't go back.

Good to hear someone is looking for alternate dive sites in NM. I have heard of people diving Navajo Lake up by Farmington. Also Bottomless Lake state park near Roswell is supposed to have decent visibility at times. I have even heard of people diving Eagles Nest lake, all would probably have better vis in the spring time. Tom

I have heard of people diving Navajo Lake up by Farmington.

That's where we do our training in the warm months with the exception of this year due to water levels being low enough to eliminate walk-in diving. We had a guy nail two very sizeable catfish there last weekend. Most of us that go out are spearfishing when we aren't training. Viz has been pretty poor this summer (about 3-5).

Has anyone tried Heron Reservoir or El Vado southeast of Dulce?

Hey Todthecat, I have been considering Heron Lake as a dive spot for a while. I'd be up for an exploratory dive, how bout you?

A buddy of mine who camps there all the time says it looks clear from the surface, he is an ex diver for whatever that's worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom