Elements or Photoshop CS2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior:
What about GIMP? (general license image manipulation program, I think) I use it cause I'm cheap, and it seems decently good, and it's free.

Even though it is free, after using both gimp and PS I've found that my time is valuable. Futzing around with gimps hellish user interface and lack of intuitive ways of doing things like changing colorspaces and applying filters made me glad that I dropped the $$ on PS.

Plus, if you try to send a gimp file to anyone, they'll laugh at you.

bluesbro1982:
Even though it is free, after using both gimp and PS I've found that my time is valuable. Futzing around with gimps hellish user interface and lack of intuitive ways of doing things like changing colorspaces and applying filters made me glad that I dropped the $$ on PS.

Plus, if you try to send a gimp file to anyone, they'll laugh at you.

Having used GIMP and Elements 2.0 & 5.0, I think GIMP is easily a match for Elements and, IMO, was about as easy to use. But I don't have extensive experience with either. So, don't overlook the Gimp.

I can't comment on one user interface to the next (I think the GIMP is fine for my purposes), but it CAN save to tons of formats, including Photoshop, TIFF, TGA, etc. If you don't wat to get laughed at, just click "Save as" and tell it what file type you'd like :)

dcdev:
I can't comment on one user interface to the next (I think the GIMP is fine for my purposes), but it CAN save to tons of formats, including Photoshop, TIFF, TGA, etc. If you don't wat to get laughed at, just click "Save as" and tell it what file type you'd like :)

Wow, all the Linux guys come out with flaming sticks and pitchforks! Don't shoot, I run Ubuntu! :light:

The last time I attempted to save something as a psd in gimp, it worked OK, but some of my linked and locked layers came out scrambled... admittedly this was a while (about a year) ago. i was also using gentoo at the time, so go figure. I'd also like to add that, unless you use it somewhere else, the OP would have to download Glib and GTK+, which can be confusing for someone not in the know.

I'd agree that GIMP will easily out-match elements, but for my money, I'd rather get the value-added coolness features in PS CS2-3 and its plugin architecture (Healing brush? Red-Eye plugin included with distribution? Vertus' QuickMask Plugin? Integration with Illustrator or another vector program of that caliber?) Also, GIMP's colors are max 8 bits per channel, and if the OP has a 48 bit camera (most cams that have a RAW mode, also Canon EOS or Nikon D-whatever.) he'll lose picture quality when gimp edits and saves the file.

I will say, in gimps defense, that the plugin architecture is nice and extensible, and the ability to create procedural brushes that would take input from a wacom tablet or something would be very cool. Unfortunately, the OP's question was about photo retouching stuff, which may or may not benefit from it.

So, flame away. Thats all I have to say about that.

bluesbro1982:
Wow, all the Linux guys come out with flaming sticks and pitchforks! Don't shoot, I run Ubuntu! :light:

Me too, but if you've been around Linux for a while, you should realize that his post was not even close to "flaming sticks and pitchforks" :)

<linux-fanboy-mode>Don't even consider running commercial software. It will lock away your data, crash every 3 minutes, and deforest the earth!!</linux-fanboy-mode>

Yeah, Gimp's 8-bitness is a serious impediment to serious work. Not much of an issue with my A620, but not good for the Canon DSLR (which stays above the water!).

Back
Top Bottom