Election Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novicediver

Contributor
Reaction score
This isn't a thread about the merits of either political party, but rather a comment on voter turnout, and issues with the voting process. I am not sure about the rest of the country, but in Denver we had a huge problem with the polls which resulted in 4 hour long lines. This caused many to just give up and not want to bother. Also, it is amazing that voter turnout is still only around 40%. Maybe election day should be a national holiday to encourage more people to get out and vote.

If people aren’t motivated enough to find a way to vote I’m not sure I really want them voting.

A good friend of mine voted for the first time this year after gaining his citizenship 4 months ago – after a 21 year “legal” struggle to become an American. He laughed that the last time he voted he was very happy to stand in line outdoors for over 3 hours in the South African sun to vote so this seemed way too easy for him.

Bill51:
If people aren’t motivated enough to find a way to vote I’m not sure I really want them voting.

A good friend of mine voted for the first time this year after gaining his citizenship 4 months ago – after a 21 year “legal” struggle to become an American. He laughed that the last time he voted he was very happy to stand in line outdoors for over 3 hours in the South African sun to vote so this seemed way too easy for him.

Agreed.

Voting is responsibility and priviledge as well as a right. We have the responsibility to be educated voters and the priviledge of voting as we choose rather than being "encouraged" to vote for the only person on the ballot, or a ballot loaded with only one party.

Now, I want to complain that my vote did not count :wink:

ditto

and people like us? we should get more votes

catherine96821:
ditto

and people like us? we should get more votes

I agree with all you.....

The only painful part of the process was the fact that I had to pay for two traffic tickets while I was up there haha. 15 minutes later I had voted and lost 360.00 . :wink:

Kenny

I had the opportunity to provide 'security' years ago during an election. It was an education; I was there from 07:00 to 03:00 the next day.

This is a bit late, but I knew I was going to be away from home for the election (transitioning from NZ to AUS) so I requested an absentee ballot. However, in my rush to get things done before my big trip, I had failed to complete the ballot. No problem I thought, I'll just mail it from LAX while I wait for my plane to depart. Except, I forgot, and I was well on my way to New Zealand by the time I realized the ballot was still in my carry-on.

My solution: I mailed it from Auckland Airport as soon as I arrived. I found a shop near the arrivals area that sold stamps, and I bought an airmail stamp for it. The clerk said it should arrive in time for the November 7 deadline.

Some people back in the US would think I was taking a bit too much of my precious holiday time to finding a place to mail my ballot, but I thought the election was far too important to forfeit my vote. Especially since in far too many countries, people either can't vote, or the election is for "display purposes only."

Question for the Aussies: is it true that you are REQUIRED to vote, and if you don't you get fined? That's what my hotel clerk in Cairns told me.

It is too bad about the long wait in Denver (a few polling places here ran out of ballots - we use paper) BUT I'll bet the majority of the non-voting was due to apathy, not impatience.

And, thanks for voting. I agree completely that it is a privilege and a responsibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom