El Galleon or Atlantis Puerto Galera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rxmasks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Have been reading all the posts on PG and have decided to go there in November with my husband. Thanks for all the valuable info. We are there just for the diving, and would like to maximize the number of dives we can do. We are both former dive Instructors who are heavily into photography.
I have narrowed the choice of resort to El Galleon or Atlantis. Am wondering if one is easier for an aging diver than another...like how far from the rooms to the docks and and if one has a lot more steps up to the rooms than the other. And what the photography infrastructure is at the resorts...do they have dedicated areas for camera/battery charging or is it necessary to do all the photography stuff in your room?
And any other info you can tell me that separates these resorts from one another.
Many thanks.
Joyce

I went to the El Galleon last August with my dive club and had a great time. Everything was very close and easy to get to, you would never have to leave the property if you did not want to.

The 1st day we showed up they had a table setup for us to sit at and learn about hotel/resort. They even had some pizza and tea for us to snack on while they were talking. That was while all our bags were getting delivered to our rooms. After that we brought our gear to the shop and we were heading out to a dive spot. They also have their own dock for the boats. As a side note, not all resorts have docks! When we arrived it was easy to get off the boat. But we did see other people that had to get off the boat and come ashore through the water. Not the end of the world, but a dock is nice. They were actually extending the dock and making more room when we were there.

You get to all the dives sites within a few minutes on the boats. Another nice thing is that at the end of your stay you can get a printout of all the dive sites you were at. The DM's were all pretty cool, we mostly had the same one for the week. Dives started around 7:30-8:00am and I think we were done diving for the day around 4 or 5. Between dives they come back to the dock and change out tanks for you while you hang out for your surface interval.

We had the breakfast buffet (pretty good) in our package, so I would grab some food before the 1st dive and a little snack after. After the next dive you could grab lunch at the restaurant. The food is good and priced pretty decently. Then a few more dives and usually up to the point bar for a few drinks before dinner. And sometimes a few more drinks before bed :D.

I brought the wife with (non-diver) and our room was pretty basic, but the AC was nice at times. No TV in our room, but others had them. To be honest we never even missed the TV the entire week. They did have a TV in the downstairs bar though where you could sit and watch it. You could also just charge everything to the room and leave your key at the desk, so you would not have to carry anything around.

The day before we flew out we arranged a small tour of the island and some waterfalls since we could not dive before flying. Another thing we did was to spend a few days in Manila before going to the resort. I did not really want to at 1st, but I am very happy we did. It gives you a chance to relax after that very long flight and get used to the time difference and generally acclimatize (SP?).

To get off the plane and sit on a bus for a few hours and then take the boat ride to the resort (another hour two? Don't remember) would make for a long day. We had a great time though. The wife was glad I had her bring some extra food, crackers and stuff, because she can get kinda picky with food. But I thought it was good and did not have a problem with anything. The resort is also a small walk away from a little town that has markets and all kinds of other stuff if you need it.

Wow, this turned into a short novel really quick. So I better stop for now, let me know if you have any other questions I can help with. I did not do any photography so I am useless on that question. But others did and I did not hear any complaints.

I think the good folks at both resorts run a fine operation. After reading between the lines in your post.....I think Asia Divers (El Galleon) might suit you better. Proximity and ease of access is just slightly better there. Both operators are "older" diver capable.....

La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Resort.
I am hoping 4-5 steps are not too much!!!
The resort is on Big La Laguna and is very very quiet.
Reserve Ogie as the guide and you won't be disapppointed. I read a book many years ago on PG and the photographer(Gunter) was using Ogie as his personal guide.

Both Atlantis and El Galleon are good and recommended but for the shortest distance to the dive boat you can't beat LLBC.

Both Atlantis and El galleon are good places to stay and dive with. A bit pricey for me. I prefer the smaller "boutique" dive op's and resorts. I have checked out both and Atlantis, (right there in the mist of sabang), easy walk to everything, but a bit to noisy for me. el Galleon is a nice set up, has good food and I often walk over to the point bar for happy hour and bar-b-que night. El Galleon has a pier and the walk would be quite easy. I'll be heading back over in two weeks, and diving with Mark at searider. I would give the edge to El Galleon for ease of walking.
Have fun.

I would highly recommend checking out Out of the Blue Villas. The accommodation is simply amazing, especially for the price. You could still walk next door to dive with Asia Divers (which I might recommend over their dive shop), but a beautiful full villa with private kitchen bath, and terrace for about the same price is hard to beat. We stayed at the 2B/2B penthouse villa 10, and it was absolutely amazing

thanks, mcliffy2. I am mainly concerned with a lot of stairs up to the villa...do they have any villas that are close to the shore? We can manage a couple of stories high, but going 100 steps up is too difficult carrying heavy cameras with bad knees several times a day. Have you used both Asia Divers and Action Divers? Really appreciated your feedback.

Asia Divers...pool rooms = NO STEPS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom