Eight Year Old Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pbowl, interesting reading.

First of all, I do not have kids of my own but as my brother, Firebrand, mentioned, my neice and nephew were not even close to being ready to learn to dive when they were eight. At first, they were even reluctant to snorkel with us while we were snorkeling to catch lobster in 15' or water or less. My neice, who is older, was almost afraid of the water but she eventually overcame it and swam. Now they are old enough to receive their "C" cards but I still don't feel as if they are ready for the responsibility of breathing compressed air. Even my nephew (who is in the gifted program) doesn't possess the maturity needed for diving. This being said, every child is different and should not be held back because of their age. If they have the maturity associated with diving and there aren't any medical setbacks that can preclude them from participating in a program such as Scuba Rangers, then let kids enjoy the water. I for one would rather see kids out doing something enjoyable and educational than sitting in front of a computer or video game system snacking on junk food. I also think it is important for kids immune systems for them to get out there and get dirty otherwise they won't develop the antibodies necessary to fight off infection. I am not a medical doc or anywhere close so this is just my humble opinion on the matter.

pbowl :
Nice article, There was just one thing (vassalva during descents and ascents", see below) that shocked me....

extract below:

"Blood can flow in both directions with Intra-atrial shunts at various phases of the cardiac cycle and some experts feel that a large atrial septal defect (PFO) is a contra-indication to diving. In addition, a Valsalva maneuver, used by most divers to equalize their ears during descents and ascents, can increase venous atrial pressure to the point that it forces blood containing bubbles across the PFO into the arterial circulation. Thus the usual filtering process of the lungs is by-passed. "

Yes, I agree hemodynamics is fascinating. Nobody is really answering what I think the real question is. IF it is more dangerous for children to dive, but less dangerous than riding in a car, are you really wanting to prohibit them? What other sports and activities will be deemed not suitable for children? Football, surfing, jumping horses?

Pbowl's first article is what you should "take to the bank".

The main point was made.

"the risk of DCS is about 0.05% in the diving population, was that the risk ratio for decompression sickness is increased by a factor of about three for individuals with PFO, and is reduced by a factor of about 2 in individuals who do not have a PFO. It would appear that the risk is low and the significance of the small differences is questionable."

okay that is 0.05 x (3) = still a very small risk

Does anyone really want to keep kids from diving in view of this number?

If the answer is yes, then you might as well just go home and read some prescription inserts and worry about that too.....

You have a good point there. But I think people "perceive" scuba as more dangerous because a DCS hit can have long term consequences. In other sport (football, jumping horses), you break a leg, you break a wrist, you repair it, you wait, you wait, you go easy on it, and you can forget all about it. It won't affect you for life...

on a side note, letting kids drive around by themselves without receiving proper training and controlled practice is no good either...

caribou:
You have a good point there. But I think people "perceive" scuba as more dangerous because a DCS hit can have long term consequences. In other sport (football, jumping horses), you break a leg, you break a wrist, you repair it, you wait, you wait, you go easy on it, and you can forget all about it. It won't affect you for life...

on a side note, letting kids drive around by themselves without receiving proper training and controlled practice is no good either...

well, I think the discussion is great. People can "perceive" whatever they want. I am really trying to get people to change an inaccurate perception. About football and jumping horses.....head injuries are pretty brutal and pretty common. I bet if you look at the numbers you will see some pretty bad neck injuries in sports like football and surfing. Lots of surfers are paralyzed every year.

It truly frightens me the number of parents that are so safety conscious that their kids do not develop the confidence and self-esteem needed to take on life. We are truly a nation of arrested intellectuals. People that micro-manage the most minute risk and it just literally arrests them, stops them dead in the tracks of life. And then they pass this constant fear and anxiety about everything on to their children. Sorry, I don't mean you.

And then, they drive right up to McDonalds and rent the kid another video. I am saying that approach is really upside down.

catherine96821:
It truly frightens me the number of parents that are so safety conscious that their kids do not develop the confidence and self-esteem needed to take on life.

on a personal level i believe scuba has given my niece life opportunities. about 2 years ago we found that her troubles in school related directly to her inability to read - she was 10 years old and couldnt read, didnt even have the confidence to speak up in class and was miserable - broke our hearts.

the family got her a tutor but her confidence was still shattered. hubby and i thought diving would help - hubby started her on the bubble maker program, skin diver, stuff like that - she loved collecting her cards and reading the OW manual for over a year gave her scuba knowledge and reading practise without her realising.

last year she did her jnr open water and was only 1 of 2 students accepted for a particular high school she applied for. the high school had a intro day a few weeks ago - the usual thing, stand up and introduce yourself and she was so excited to say "and i scuba dive". she is out diving with us about 2 weekends per month now.

i imagine her life if her family didnt do something, uneducated, unemployed and pregnant comes to mind. now, thru hubbys students, meets people from all over the world and talks of travel and what she wants to achieve, fingers cross as i know the teenage years are a-knockin :)

just my 2 cents

caribou:
In other sport (football, jumping horses), you break a leg, you break a wrist, you repair it, you wait, you wait, you go easy on it, and you can forget all about it. It won't affect you for life...

I do find it a bit ironic that the two examples you use above have news stories about them almost yearly of people who are paralyzed and or die while in these activities. Christopher Reeve certainly had his life changed by a horse jumping accident.

Back
Top Bottom