EGD w/Biospy and a Colonoscopy w/Biopsy..is it safe to go diving after this procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be scoped through the front and back end means they haven't got a clue what's going on. We've not got the whole story on why you were scoped front and rear in the first place. If it is for bleeding, the bacteria doesn't make sense by itself unless they are suspecting a duodenal ulcer.

DAN or not... The one that should clear you for diving should be your doctor. Not anyone from DAN.

Well, the reason for these tests is that I have not been able to tolarate food well lately..and having a lot of pain in my stomach. I already have lost 9 lbs! Even if I just eat a little its like I had stuffed myself like a pig and I get a terrible pain in my stomach. Also, sometimes the food comes right out for no reason. :(

Hi Lilo,

Not fun.

Given your reported compliants and work up, I suspect the diving vet is correct that there is some uncertaintly regarding your diagnosis, although Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis likely are high on the list of rule outs.

It would be prudent to put the scuba on hold until you are medically cleared.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I just got a call from the doctor office about the results. For the Colonoscopy is begian but its ascerated? What does that mean? And I have to go back in 2 years to re-do the test. Now for EGD I still don't know yet.

Sorry vikingdoc, my screenname is old. I was a vet, but now also specialize in the human primates. I think what they have said about the colonoscopy is that the biopsy is benign (was it a polyp) or an erosion. Ascerated could mean "macerated". By any mean, it likely meant that the colonscopy did not help them make a dianosis for you. It sounded like the EGD did not find much either, but they did a culture to see if you harbor bacteria that can cause duedenal ulcer. In which case, they will treat you with combination antibiotics to eradicate.

The symptoms sounds concerning. They might have to do more test such as a barium swallow with a small bowel follow through, or one of the fancy capsule that you swallow that images the small bowel as it pass through.

I would leave a message with your docs office, and ask if its ok to dive. Most likely, he'll relay the message to you that you can.

Tumors of the small intestines are hard to diagnose, and so is chron's disease. It sounds like you might get more fancy tests done in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom