Eel attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga Roja

Reaction score
I had an interesting dive yesterday. I was actually attacked by an undulated moray! Really. I should preface by saying I have seen many of these and other eels in my time and have many pix of them. Undulated eels, as my experience goes, have always been the most aggressive of the eels in these waters and I have had them "come at me" before but never like this.

The story: I was crossing a sandy area and happened across an undulated moray eel out the open with his nose under a small piece of dead coral. He pulled out and was chewing on what I think was the remnants of a crab. I settled into the sand on my stomach and got about 3 pix off before he knew I was there.

eelattack03.jpg

When he saw me, rather than take off in the other direction as I would have expected, he came right at me. I have seen these guys do this before and usually I will hold my camera out so the DS125 is the closest thing to them. As expected, he touched the strobe with his nose and, realizing it was too hard to bite, he turned and swam away.

I followed, shooting a few pix along the way to a patch of reef where I knew he would find his favorite hole to slither into, maybe sticking his head out for a last pose. As we reached the reef, my eyes were fixed on him so I didn't notice that his buddy/mate/whatever, had come out of the reef to fight with me until he nearly had sunk his teeth into my bare ankle.

eelattack02.jpg

I whipped around and stuck my hard bodied strobe into his face to try to convince him I was too hard to eat. He actually took a bite and kept coming at me. He wasn't supposed to do this! I ascended, probably a little faster than I should have, to about 15 feet above the floor, and he kept coming up the column. He wasn't supposed to do that either. I wanted to tell him that I meant he and his friends no harm but he wouldn't have it. I was leaving his area as fast as my fins could pedal while fending with my strobe but he was still chasing me. It wasn't until we were about a hundred feet from his patch of reef, that he finally turned to go back.

eelattack01.jpg

About 40 minutes later, on my way back to shore, I came by the same patch of reef and decided to see if my "friend" was still around. I saw one undulated acting normal with his head out of a hole but wasn't sure which one he was.

eelattack04.jpg

Then I saw a cool yellow leaf scorpionfish. I took a few pics but just didn't feel comfortable enough to not keep looking around for that eel. So I decided to go on in.

leafyellow.jpg

On shore, where my wife had been sun bathing, she told me about a couple of scuba divers that came out of the water there because a "big headed eel" was chasing them.

So how much damage did he do?

A buddy of mine got bitten by a moray in the Red Sea and had 5 stitches in his armpit.

That's a neat sequence of photos.

A couple of questions for you and Gilligan. The calcareous algae in the sand flats in all the Maui pics...Is it everywhere there's sand or only at specific depth ranges?. We have none in the sand (very limited number of flat sandy areas here as it drops off close to shore) and only very occasional sprouts of it here on the reef in Kona. Are there any particular little critters associated with it? I know when I was in Maui a couple of years back we dove the tank and I saw a coronet fish "blending in" with the algae using a color pattern I've never seen here.

later,

Steve

Cool story, however I think you should let the moral take a little nip on your ankle. Then you will also have a nice a little wound to show when you tell the story as well :wink:
Now I am going to get paranoid about those moral eels when I try to stick my WAL right in front of it.

I'm think it's one of the Halimeda algae.

It's pretty common from 25' out to at least 85' depths off of S. Maui.

It hasn't been as common in the places I've dove off of W. Maui. IIRC, it started at around 45' and continued to around 80' at Old Airport.

The only place I've seen a cowfish in Maui is in the sand/algae zone, but that might just be chance at work.

Mike Severns routinely dives the sand/algae zone, unlike most other dive ops that stay with the coral formations. If you want a defintive answer to your questions, give Pauline Fiene a call.

YIKES! Glad that you got off that good....as you say, they are the most vicious kind! Guess today was your lucky day.
aloha,
Lisa

Ey braddah, lucky you no lose dakine body parts.

Great pics and a scarey experience.

Back
Top Bottom