Educate me on the Scuba Pro 109A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These guys are much better at the 109 than I am but looking at the photos, the adjustment screw looks to be fully in, that will make it much harder to breath from. Unscrew it until it either stops or starts to gently freeflow, then back in a little to stop the flow. You will find it breaths much better.

In addition to that, with the second stage stored with the knob turned in all the way the LP seat has probably taken a deep set. The regulator simply needs some TLC and service by somebody who knows a little bit about them. I am not a 109 expert, that mantle resides with Couv or several others but the 109 should breath very nicely.

I set my two 109s so that the regulator has the slightest tendency to free flow with the knob turned fully out but turn it in a skosh and it stops and breaths super easy. But, both of mine are currently converted to the Balanced Adjustable configuration.

For storage, I remove the cover plate, remove the diaphragm and diaphragm rubber cover and store them in a baggie. I then place the cover plate back on the body with piece of a tongue depressor set under to keep the demand lever slightly depressed.

N

I dive with it out. I must have just been prong around with it and screwed it in for some reason. Don't tell anyone but I'm the nerd that sits in my chair and plays withmy scuba gear while watching spearfishing or vacation dive videos.

My wife thinks I have gills and I'm waisting my money on scuba equipment:)

Didn't those regs used to come with a little plastic key that wedged between the front cover and the diaphragm to hold the poppet open during storage?

I thought I saw something like that but didn't know if it was after market or came with the reg.

The key was for the Air1 and the fob for the 109 and 108......they were blue.
.....and don't forget the roach clip!

The key was for the Air1 and the fob for the 109 and 108......they were blue.
.....and don't forget the roach clip!

actually the key was also with the 109's for some time (I have at least 1 that was that way in the box)

Didn't those regs used to come with a little plastic key that wedged between the front cover and the diaphragm to hold the poppet open during storage?

I thought I saw something like that but didn't know if it was after market or came with the reg.

The problem with the key is that it presses the diaphragm cover in and can cause it to become deformed over time. That is why I remove mine. But, yes, I have the keys also.

N

The problem with the key is that it presses the diaphragm cover in and can cause it to become deformed over time. That is why I remove mine. But, yes, I have the keys also.

N

The key does not press the diaphragm cover. It fits into the "S" and only presses the diaphragm. The larger plastic tab does fit between the cover and the diaphragm and does press in on the diaphragm. I use some home made versions and have never had any problem with diaphragm deformation. Alternatively, I have removed the retaining clip and simply loosened the adjustment knob during storage.

The key does not press the diaphragm cover. It fits into the "S" and only presses the diaphragm. The larger plastic tab does fit between the cover and the diaphragm and does press in on the diaphragm. I use some home made versions and have never had any problem with diaphragm deformation. Alternatively, I have removed the retaining clip and simply loosened the adjustment knob during storage.

Yes, thank you, the plastic tabs are what I have and they do push on the cover, though I do have what I guess you would call a key also. Sorry for the confusion, being generic. However, the other issue I avoid by removing the rubber cover and diaphragm is that the rubber diaphragm cover is neoprene rubber and seems to squash down and eventually develop hairline splits along the perimeter. I figure the removing only takes a couple of minutes and does not affect the tune or adjustment.

In the photo below, this is how I store my 109s, except that the rubber cover and diaphragm are removed. Left in here for photo purposes only.

PA210592.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom