Educate me on the Scuba Pro 109A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My dad passed away in 99 and he swore by his Scuba Pro 109 regs. I occasionally dive with them just bcI think it's cool and it reminds me of diving with dad.

I don't know much about these regs. I have to think they are decent bc he had them for as long as I can remember. They seem well built. Breathes a little heavy but really just interested in learning about them. Second stage only.

Any info is appreciated.

Screenshot_2013-05-06-12-58-47-1_zps46e0a9e5.png

pure junk - send them to me and I will see that they are disposed of properly....

(I own something like 12 or 14 of them :help:)

In all seriousness, the design and performance can be considered as very good. The 109 is simple, and can also be easily made to be a balanced by minor additional items (then it is a 156). The materials (solid brass) make them darn near indestructable, and will continue to be operational long after you, your kids, and theirs dive them....

Dive them!

In all honesty, the only "problem' may be, depending on the model, the first stage (but folks like Vintage Double Hose are there to help).

DO NOT LET A DIVE SHOP TELL YOU THEY ARE TOO OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the Vintage and DIY sections - lots of love for these regs there.....

Years ago I took them to a shop and the guy told me they were not worth servicing. Then another employee came over and said that they weren't a scuba pro dealer but that these regs were bullet proof and to keep diving them

So I got it serviced elsewhere and have used them several times. Glad to know they have a good reputation

For some reason the main one has sentimental value bc my dad was my dive budy starting when I was 14. I can picture his face underwater with those shiny regs and its just a cool memory.

As was mentioned, they have a large following in the vintage and DIY community. The breathing a bit heavy may be do that they do not have as strong of a venturi effect as newer regulators or they may be out of tune.

These regs are perfectly serviceable and up-gradable, the rubber parts are available from Vintage Double Hose.

Condolences on the passing of your father.

Arguably the most successful 2nd stage in history, based on longevity, performance, and influence on later regulators. Any dive shop employee that says they're not worth servicing is an idiot, at least when it comes to regulators. I once bought 5 of them for $20 each at a dive shop; they were in a bucket headed for the trash. One of them appeared to have never been used.

I have converted most of mine to balanced, and I like them a little better that way.

BTW, if they're serviced correctly and have the right versions of the lever/poppet/spring, they don't "breathe heavy" at all. They're excellent performers.

+1
They can be tuned to below 1" of water in terms of cracking effort, which is a bit lower than what's reasonable because they free flow a bit in a face down position, due to the case geometry. 1" is as good as it gets.

Try it yourself: remove the hose, use a flat screw driver and turn the orifice inside 30° (1 hour) counter clockwise while pressing the purge, reconnect the hose (finger tight is OK), test breathe, repeat until it hisses, then back up a bit.

You can't do much better than an updated 109. I have several, including two that are especially superb breathers: poppets, springs and balance chambers from most recent 250 series, brass orifices, all new rubber. I also frequently dive a 250 Graphite which is a wizard breather, for some mysterious reason much better than any other 250 Graphite I've ever tried. I have my suspicions, but these involve Candomble, Iemanya, an abandoned graveyard in Jamaica with two very young British officers who killed each other simultaneously during a duel 250 years ago and are buried side by side, and an Obeah man with a glass eye who lives nearby and reportedly consumed his twin brother while still in the womb. Things best not discussed.

The nice thing is I can rebuild these 109/156s to a state of fine tuned perfection in less than an hour, most of of which is spent just admiring how beautiful they are, rechecking everything, andplaying with my cats. If the cats get too intrusive a short blast from the air tank will send them into deep concealment mode for hours.

The only limiting factor in terms of ease of breathing is the slightly smallish exhaust, not a big deal. I've tried a lot of the new stuff... meh. Even the very best are basically comparable, sometimes hellishly expensive, often needlessly complicated, and never as utterly beautiful.

Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

As long as there are parts, there will be 109s and MkVs. The second best single hose regulator combo ever made. :wink:

N

Well hell now you got me all excited. Ive even found some nice Mk5s and upgrade kits. I am not sure if its worth converting to balanced but I might. Ive always thought they were the sexiest regs I have owned:wink:

.... Ive always thought they were the sexiest regs I have owned:wink:

...and you would be correct. Keep them, dive them, and pass them down to your offspring as your father did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom