Ediz Hook (Port Angeles) Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ease of diving: :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
Photography: :camera:
Fun: :beer:
Creepiness factor: :alien_2::alien_2::alien_2::alien_2:

Other divers have ranted about the de-oxygenation of the bay near Port Angeles, and there's lots of info on the web about it. As I understand the problem (which isn't saying much) the decomposition of the logs at the bottom of the bay is causing the O2 levels to drop, killing any life. The bay is open to the ocean but the tidal exchange isn't enough to reinvigorate things.

Even so, I felt compelled to check it out for myself... (Sometimes you just gotta do harmless dumb things to remind yourself why you don't do them.)

Driving through the Port Angeles mill area seems dubious and dangerous, as if a giant roll of paper will suddenly emerge from a warehouse and squash your car. But you quickly get out on the 'hook', a long stretch of sand bar and rip-rap ending at a Coast Guard station and pilot house. Almost at the end of the road is a nice parking area on the bay side, with a bathroom just up the street and an abandoned shack nearby that still has a functioning faucet and hose, good for rinsing the gear afterwards.

Entry into the water couldn't be easier: just gear up and walk in. There didn't seem to be any concern about currents. The shallow areas were clean and clear but generally lifeless. Below about 50ft the visibility dropped (~10ft) and things became even more lifeless, except for the occasional patch of white bacteria and a few schools of fry. Then the logs started appearing in the gloom. At 90ft the visibility was about 6ft, and rotting logs were everywhere -- eerily hovering on the edge of your vision, appearing suddenly.

Our plan was to go to 100ft, see what was there, and turn around. Mission accomplished on the nose, and I was happy to ascend. Between the poor vis, a touch of narcosis, and the phantom logs, the whole thing just creeped me out.

If you're taking a class, perhaps the shallow areas would be good for practicing skills -- there's no current to speak of, after all. But you can keep the deep. Afterwards we talked to a local salmon rancher (aquaculturist?) about the sound-side, and he said there wasn't much to see there either. Huh.

glenn

The collage in Port Angeles holds there open waters there. If you go through P.A. to hiway 12 heads towards Neah bay there is Fresh water bay, easy in and out A long swim but good 4 pics or go towards Joyce and Salt Creek Marine Reserve challangeing to get in and out but nice kelp forst.
have fun Robert

I did my open water dives there and at 60ft we saw Rockfish,Crabs, and white plumed annemones. But its borring. i would never have gone that deep its dark and creppy. Cali diving is better.

We are not all there, because we were there..,. Ediz Hook that is. My buddy called this dive to a bubble. He was right on about the entire profile. I am from cold fresh water, where finding a picnic table at 80 feet is a 10-thumbs-up dive. I didn't notice the depletion of life, but I was rather amazed. the logs were fun to look for critters. At one, I thought I saw an old octo den. Easy entry, except be careful of the slippery kelp on the rock at low tide. The life was abundant, for me, that is. He was an excellent buddy and called the profile 100% accurate. Lots of abundant life for me, but I will go with the "west siders" and say that you are the experts on what sites are depleted and what are not. I have been up to San Juan Islands and seen so much I need a slate to jot it all down. I could list all I saw at Ediz Hook, but you can see that on one of my other posts. Viz was 20-25 feet. I could say 10 feet in our cold water is normal. My buddy spoiled me, what a pro. Thanks G2!!!

g2:
Even so, I felt compelled to check it out for myself...
Thanks for hosting one of our local Spokane divers!

Back
Top Bottom