Editing software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use lightworks which is the most intuitive free one I've found (once I watched the tutorial videos) The free version you need to keep re registering via email, apart from that I like it. If I do more I'll splash out for the paid version

Another Vegas user here. Been using it for years. I found it to be easy to learn.

As another Vegas user I'm curious to hear what makes you want to switch?
Vegas doesn't appear to be able to handle .mov files. I just got a new (to me) camera that can shoot in .mov and Vegas doesn't want to play with that format. Premiere does.

I haven't changed yet but I am definitely looking at switching.

Vegas doesn't appear to be able to handle .mov files. I just got a new (to me) camera that can shoot in .mov and Vegas doesn't want to play with that format. Premiere does.

I haven't changed yet but I am definitely looking at switching.

Ah, ok, .mov is usually just Apple for .mp4, but as usual they do have their ways to make it 'special'.

It's really pricey software we are talking about changing, so I was wondering if there were major editing functionality reasons.

Last edited:
Ah, ok, .mov is usually just Apple for .mp4, but as usual they do have their ways to make it 'special'.

It's really pricey software we are talking about changing, so I was wondering if there were major editing functionality reasons.
I've been using Vegas for a few years and it's like an old chair that I've gotten very used to but once it starts to not be compatible with formats that are industry standard I got to thinking that it's time to explore other options. Not saying I'm going to switch but I am looking seriously at it.

I've just started with video editing. I've used splice on an iphone (while my computer was under repair) - this was very painful when making complicated cuts. Have also used gopro studio a couple of times.

Most recently I used trial version of Premier Pro and liked it so much that got the full version. My first video edit using it and the video came out quite good in a short amount of time. I found it very intuitive. I did think the time to export was quite excessive but perhaps that's the case for any software and the settings I had on. Note however that I was not accustomed to anything fully.

I've used Adobe Premiere and Power Director before and found them painfully sluggish when editing my MTS video files.

One of my hats is technical director for a small computer hardware review site, handling the entire video production workflow, so i'm heads down in premiere for 20+ hours a week. Premiere really likes having nice hardware acceleration and fast storage storage. even with a quadro, high speed PCI-e SSDs, stupid amounts of ram and 20c/40t, 4k h264 renders out at about 1/2 real time, and 1080p h264 renders out at 1x~2x real time. ended up moving %TEMP% and premiere's temp / scratch / index files to the working SSD from the system volume's spinning rust raid array, and that drastically improved scrub and seek performance.

my major beef with premiere is that it can get super moody and repeatedly crash out every few hours, so save early, save often.

One of my hats is technical director for a small computer hardware review site, handling the entire video production workflow, so i'm heads down in premiere for 20+ hours a week. Premiere really likes having nice hardware acceleration and fast storage storage. even with a quadro, high speed PCI-e SSDs, stupid amounts of ram and 20c/40t, 4k h264 renders out at about 1/2 real time, and 1080p h264 renders out at 1x~2x real time. ended up moving %TEMP% and premiere's temp / scratch / index files to the working SSD from the system volume's spinning rust raid array, and that drastically improved scrub and seek performance.

my major beef with premiere is that it can get super moody and repeatedly crash out every few hours, so save early, save often.
You might want to look at your workstation regarding the crashes. I've been using premiere for years on several workstations. I often leave it running for days on end while I complete a project. Crashes have been rare for me. I've used it on a variety of Intel boards/CPU's with Windows 7, 8, and now 10. I've never had a proper quadro card, instead I edit the config file so my cheaper nvidia card will provide HW acceleration in premiere. You're right about it loving SSD's. My workstation with 32GB RAM and SSD's outperforms my older workstation which had 96GB RAM and spinning disks where premiere is concerned.

Back
Top Bottom