Editing Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anybody heard of, seen, or used Cyberlink's Power Director and/or can compare it to some of the others? I am just getting started in video, know absolutely nothing at this point so need something simple to use that can do a good job. Something that I can grow with.

Similar thread on the exact same subject:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/209483-software.html
Something that I can grow with.
Try Premiere Elements instead. It has an upgrade path to the full Adobe Premiere Creative Suite. You can d/l a 30-day trial at Adobe Premiere Elements 4 or the full CS version at Adobe - Premiere Pro CS3

Or start with Sony Movie Studio Platinum - the Platinum version since it will capture/output HDV. It has an upgrade path to the full Sony Vegas. Free trial on their website also. You also get the Acid Express soundtrack creator/editor as well as a version of DVD Architect with Movie Studio Platinum.

Having at least demo'ed with both products, I would say there's a steeper learning curve with the Sony solution. But on the flipside I also feel that you can do more with it before upgrading to the full product. IMO, Premiere Elements dumbs down some of their feature set. I've used an earlier version of Premiere Pro and I'd think you'd have to relearn some basics if you jumped to Pro..

Either one is +/- $100 typically...

Has anybody heard of, seen, or used Cyberlink's Power Director and/or can compare it to some of the others? I am just getting started in video, know absolutely nothing at this point so need something simple to use that can do a good job. Something that I can grow with.

Yeah, go down the path Steve pointed out. As was mentioned in the other thread, avoid anything that advertises "automated editing". In the end, you have far less control over how your video turns out and trust me, you want control. Dr. Bill uses Premiere Elements to edit video for his public access cable TV show.

Thanks for the responses. Keep em coming.

I should also have included that I will working from Mini-DV in HD format. The camcorder is a Sony HC7.

I also agree with Steve's two options. I personally use Vegas 8.0 and have never tried the others, but have been very happy with Vegas so far.

Vic

I did because he meant HDV...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom