Edit a post...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a post going, that I'd like to add info to as more becomes available. It seems the 'edit' option has disappeared. Is there a limit to editing a post?
TIA

It's best to add a follow-up post, so peeps know that there is new info. If a post MUST be updated, report the post and tell EXACTLY how it should read as well as why you want it edited.

Hello! Thanks for the instructions on how to edit! I do have a few suggestions.

It seems unintuitive (and destructive) that I need to REPORT my own post in order to request an edit. I had to Google this question (i.e. go off-platform) to get to this thread. Can you make the UX more self-service?

As for "so that peeps know there's new info", I feel like that answer is context-dependent. For example, I want to edit my Trip Report post with key information I forgot to add. I think future readers shouldn't be forced to read the entire thread just to get my entire trip report; it should all be encompassed in the header post.

Also, when I REPORT my own post for an edit, will my Trip Report still be searchable? Do I convey to you the edit I want in the "Report reason" textbox? Or do you make the EDIT button available again for 24hr?

Thanks for reading :)

It seems unintuitive (and destructive) that I need to REPORT my own post in order to request an edit.

Reporting your own thread with a request to edit is the most convenient tool that is build into xenForo, the software ScubaBoard runs on. Reports are not always negative. Members also use them to point out especially excellent posts that might be made sticky or promoted to a restricted forum under the Best of ScubaBoard.

As for "so that peeps know there's new info", I feel like that answer is context-dependent. For example, I want to edit my Trip Report post with key information I forgot to add. I think future readers shouldn't be forced to read the entire thread just to get my entire trip report; it should all be encompassed in the header post.

A requested edit to your OP (Original Post) can include a link to an update post later in the thread or an entirely new thread. The advantage of adding the bulk of new/updated information to another post is it makes it show up in new posts and higher in forum thread lists.

Also, when I REPORT my own post for an edit, will my Trip Report still be searchable?

Yes, no change. It may take a few minutes to days for various Internet search engine like Google and Bing to update but the edit is searchable on ScubaBoard right away.

Do I convey to you the edit I want in the "Report reason" textbox?

Yes. If the edit is large or complex you can request a post edit and ask that you be contacted by DM (Direct Message). For example, some links in an older post may be broken or a video link may need to be updated. The Report box does not support BB-Code or HTML formatting.

The advantage of a DM is a Staff member can copy and paste your update including all formatting and links. Typically the Staff member will add a note the the post was updated at your request depending on the extent of the edit. Staff will not completely change an entire post that is in opposition to the original.

Great, thank you for the detailed and thorough reply! I hope to get the edit to you this week!

@happy-diver thanks for the reply!

Mate tack your edit to the bottom, and revitalise your thread
I think this is similar to the previous comment how posting on my existing thread ranks it higher in forum thread lists? My goal isn't Internet Points :) My goal is to provide a concise, complete post about all information regarding my Similan Islands Dive Report. Forcing others to scroll thru pages of replies to get my own complete picture seems wasteful. Please understand my intention is to provide the best experience to this wonderful and helpful community.

@happy-diver thanks for the reply!

I think this is similar to the previous comment how posting on my existing thread ranks it higher in forum thread lists? My goal isn't Internet Points :) My goal is to provide a concise, complete post about all information regarding my Similan Islands Dive Report. Forcing others to scroll thru pages of replies to get my own complete picture seems wasteful. Please understand my intention is to provide the best experience to this wonderful and helpful community.
Why not just cut & paste with your update to a new thread with the title “… Updated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom