Edge EXP 1st stage leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruxpot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I wanted to get some input on an Edge EXP regulator setup (all Edge EXP stages including the 2nd stages) and why the first stage leaks from some experts. I've been dealing with a major HOG/Edge dealer in a different state (same place I bought it), and they just serviced the regulator and it came back still leaking from the top cap area. They are going to pay to send it back and fix at their own cost so from a customer service standpoint from the dealer, everything is fine. Regardless, I still want to know what is going on since it's consuming so much of my time.

Below I have posted a Youtube video showing how the bubbles escape from this area of the regulator. I know the Edge/HOG regulator company is well respected on this board and many of the posts here convinced me to buy it in the first place. However, this is the first problematic regulator I have dealt with and would like some answers if anyone knows.

Thank you,
cruxpot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYGI...ature=youtu.be

Just so I understand, it began leaking after diving for a while of from new? You then sent it to be repaired and it came back still leaking? That being the case I'd question the quality of the service as they should have checked that the problem you reported had actually been fixed. Failing manufacturing defect, which if the case should have been picked up by your reg tech, I'd say a leaking O ring is to blame. I haven't seen a schematic so can't be sure but that would be my guess. I think you should post this over on EDGEs forum as some experts are likely to respond rather quickly. On the face of it it looks like your 1st stage developed a leak, which happens, and then some questionable servicing.

Yes I did post there as well. And I did buy new a little over a year ago and this is the first time they serviced it.

It looks like there has not been a response over in the Edge forum, so I'll take a stab.

I believe the Edge EXP is a balanced diaphragm 1st, with a fairly "standard" design (I have not seen the schematic, but just from general appearance I am guessing its internal layout is not too different form a Aqualung Titan, USD Conshelf, Mares MR-12, etc.).

It appears that the leak is coming from where the end cap mates with the body of the first stage, which means the leak is at the diaphragm; if this is the case it is significant because one reason this can happen is that the "shoulder" of the 1st stage body that the diaphragm sits on may have a flaw, or may have been "scratched" by a technician.

This shoulder is a sealing surface, and needs to be perfectly smooth and uniform. If it is damaged, the first stage becomes a paper weight.

If the regulator leaked prior to service, and you told the shop about it, the tech should definitely have checked for leaks before sending it back to you... really, it should not have passed post-service testing leaking like that.

Let us know what happens.

Best wishes.

That is interesting but I bought the regulator new and never had it serviced until now. I also never opened it myself and I always clean my regulators after each dive. The tech emailed me today and said he was shocked as he leak tested and is unsure of what the problem is. I am still waiting for a shipping label and I'll post back here when I find out. Maybe I have a lemon?

Just out of curiosity, how many dives did you have on the reg before the leak began?

The video you posted showed enough of a leak that I'd guess that in a quiet room you could actually hear a hiss...

I have trouble believing it is an intermittent problem. If it is, I'm not sure (mechanically) how that could be. Note: What I mean by "intermittent" is that it would not have been detected but the tech during post-service testing, but then suddenly appeared when you tried to use it. Some regulator problems can be intermittent or gradually appear, I just don't believe that type of leak would be one of them.

It is leaking at the end cap, and not at one of the hose fittings, right?

Anyway, hopefully that can be fixed, or replaced under warranty. That type of leak is not common unless there is damage or a defect (to the sealing surfaces, diaphragm, etc.).

Please let us know what the culprit is when you find out.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Regulator has perhaps 30 dives on it. It's hard to say because I also dive with a Scubapro MK17 and I use whichever one I feel like using that day. Never had any first stage problems with the MK17 and I've had it for 6 years.

The EXP should still be under warranty since I am the original owner and bought it from an authorized dealer. You are correct, I could actually hear it hiss and bubble when I pulled the tank out of the water. It is very odd that it was not detected at the shop but detected by me both before and after shipping it.

Anyway, I am shipping it back tomorrow and we will see. I am beginning to think that there is something seriously wrong with it like you said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom