Edge Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone out there tried an Edge Drysuit? I am interested in it because they (HOG / Edge) offers XL LONG (I am 6' 6" but not too big in the middle so XXL is more round than I am.)

Also it is alot cheaper than a HOG suit ($899 vs. $1349). Can't afford these high scuba prices! I might go with something else used instead, or just keep renting.

- Bill

Seahorse81 here on sb dives one and loves it. The new version is made from the same material as the HOG suit. A few less features but same quality of construction, same lifetime warranty on seams, and a number of options available. We had pockets added to hers on both legs. I actually plan to get one to replace my 5 mil when it gives up the ghost here soon. It's not as heavy as my HOG suit and better suited for travel IMO.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Do they have knee protection? Do they have pockets?

Some people say they are custom or "like custom" as you guys will take a measurements first. How are the measurement used? I am 6' 6", 36 - 36 pants and size 13 shoes. Big feet, tall, but not (too) fat.

- Bill

Pockets can be added. Knee pads are not included on the suit. What conditions are you doing that would require them? I can email you the measurement sheet. Send me your email again. I had a computer crash that required a full op restore. My emails are backed up but I am still in the process of restoring folders. Take a look at it and get back to me with the details. We can then go from there. If you need custom alterations they are available. Each suit is indeed made to order so no problem there.

Pockets can be added. Knee pads are not included on the suit. What conditions are you doing that would require them?
According to the Edge website:
"Made of ultra soft and pliable HOGSTRETCH material, 1000 denier kneepads and softsole boots. This front entry suit is easy to get in and out of. A great suit for the traveling diver. Exceptionally durable and comfortable material. Si Tech Valves Made in the USA and comes with a lifetime warranty on the seams."

Knee pads are important for shore diving around the North Coast. Often working on gear we wind up kneeling on rough surfaces or concrete. Also sometimes getting out a knee goes down on the beach/rocks. A little protection goes a long ways. Someone who exclusively boat dives might not find it an issue, the rest of us...

Are the HOG or Edge drysuits offered with velcro pockets? (Zippered pockets suck with dry gloves) If so how big are the pockets? Can something like Light Monkey pockets be installed from the factory? Unfortunately there just isn't a lot of information regarding these drysuits.

So what are the differences between the HOG and Edge drysuits? They are made of the same base material, but it is unclear of the rest of the details, for why HOG carries a higher retail value, other than already installed pockets.

I was thinking of the knee and shin material on the HOG suit that is different than the knee material on the Edge suit. The suit has pads whereas the HOG suit has additional material that is slick and has more of an armored texture.

The HOG suit also has more material on the seat, velcro or zipper pockets installed, wrist seal cuffs, neck warmer, and zipper cover. Pockets can be zipper or velcro. I dive cold water and prefer zippers. My OS suit had velcro and I found them harder to use with gloves.

When you start addding up the individual extra components you see where the price difference comes from. Yet at the map prices either suit is still a good deal. A dry suit is expensive there's no doubt. But for coldwater diving the benefits make it worth it. And long term if the suit is properly cared for it can last ten years or more. Seals would need replaced from time to time but for me it still makes more sense than diving wet. I know people who simply would not be able to dive more than two months out of the year locally and not be comfortable all the time even then due to thermal issues diving wet. The dry suit took their season to seven months and they are warm and comfy throughout.

The suits are new. There are more and more out there. But they are made by a company with many years experience making them. I have had my suit next to those from several other mfg's costing sometimes thousands more. And I see no difference in quality or more importantly function. In some cases it's been better than those costing quite a bit more.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Bill just so you know when it comes to drysuits you have to think about what your diving schedule is like. I have a HOG suit that I have put ~200 dives one in about 1.5 years and it is just starting to show wear. I have a friend that has a Fushion he bought 2 months ago for 2x the price of my HOG and it looks like it's been dove 5x as much.

I realize a $500 adder seems like allot but if you are diving allot (and add the pockets at $80 each) it's well worth the coin to invest in the HOG suit vs the Edge. I especially encourage you to invest in the silicon replaceable seals as well since they pay for themselves with the first wrist seal you tear (and you will tear seals no matter what an LDS tells you). I'm not sure what the rental costs at your shop are either but I'm willing to bet you'll pay for ANY dry suit you own within 50 dives.

Has anyone out there tried an Edge Drysuit? I am interested in it because they (HOG / Edge) offers XL LONG (I am 6' 6" but not too big in the middle so XXL is more round than I am.)

Also it is alot cheaper than a HOG suit ($899 vs. $1349). Can't afford these high scuba prices! I might go with something else used instead, or just keep renting.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom