Eczema/Psoriasis and diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone one know if eczema/psoriasis can be spread by touch? Like say if someone uses a wetsuit that someone has used that has or had it, can it be spread that way like poison ivy if the wetsuit is just rinsed with fresh water instead of actually cleaned with a detergent or other cleaning product?

Eczema and psoriasis are both autoimmune skin processes. They are not contagious. Fungal and bacterial infections, which can sometimes resemble early eczema or psoriasis, can be transmitted by contact with anything harboring the infectious organism, including wetsuits.

Asked my doctor the same thing last week minus the wetsuit question. I have been going to the tanning parlor a couple times a week for fifteen minutes lately, wondered if I had picked up something off the tanning bed or were the lights causing the problem. He said that that was good, as the UVA rays were actually helpful in this case. He said exema wasn't passable. He gave me a tube of some sort of steroid cream to use sparingly. I get the winter itch every year but usually could control it by boiling water and going around bareback as much as possible but this time it took hold pretty good. I still itch some even after using the cream. Gong to Islamorada for a couple days diving next week and hopefully the humidity, salt water and sun will clear things up.

Yes, tanning does help. Its actually a form of treatment for the severe cases. I would stray away from the boiling water thing. My doc told me when I take a shower to do so in luke warm water. To hot can actually inflame it worse. I have a cream also that I use. Most of the time as the weather clears in the spring it will start to go away because its not so dry outside; atleast thats how it is with me. Winter are always teh bad months for it and the only time I really notice it like you. BTW what part of Ohio are you from? Im from Eastern Ohio right on I70 (last town in OH on 70 before you cross into WV-Bridgeport)

I get a mild psoriasis in the winter. The first time I got it many years ago it was a much more severe break breakout, generalized with a secondary Staph infection. Now I've learned to start applying OTC corticosteroid cream as soon as the lesions appear, which are easily recognized and always in the same locations. It's also UV responsive so it goes away in the summer. I won't do a tanning bed as I have a family history of melanoma.

al248005: Morrow County, about 30 miles from north end of Columbus. I hope you didn't think that I was 'bathing' in boiling water. I just boiled water on the stove to get some humidity in the house to counteract the dry air in winter. I know right where Bridgeport is. I've travelled through there many times. How's the catfishing these days?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom