Eco Blue and Blue Voyager realtime review 4/18-5/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheers for sharing, could you share more about the difference between the 10 night and 8 night trips for Maldives? Im wondering what the extra 2 nights provides.

Also how was safety on the blue voyager and how many divers per dive guide?
I'm not sure about the difference between the 8 and 10 night trips, probably better to ask the company. We had about six divers per guide, four guides total. Maldives has some pretty strong currents so you want to always have your reef hook and safety sausage and stay with your buddy. I got separated from the group by a strong current and was hanging out with my sausage for quite a while before the boat picked up everyone and came to retrieve me.

I'm not sure about the difference between the 8 and 10 night trips, probably better to ask the company. We had about six divers per guide, four guides total. Maldives has some pretty strong currents so you want to always have your reef hook and safety sausage and stay with your buddy. I got separated from the group by a strong current and was hanging out with my sausage for quite a while before the boat picked up everyone and came to retrieve me.
Cheers , appreciate the quick reply. 6 divers per guide sounds good, what scared me was that the Blue O Two page said 2 guides which meant 12 per guide on a full boat.

You recommend buying or renting the reef hook? Im doing the Best of Maldives trip which i heard is suitable for basic folks so im not too sure about it at the moment, but if its a necessity, I'll definitely grab one.

Cheers , appreciate the quick reply. 6 divers per guide sounds good, what scared me was that the Blue O Two page said 2 guides which meant 12 per guide on a full boat.

You recommend buying or renting the reef hook? Im doing the Best of Maldives trip which i heard is suitable for basic folks so im not too sure about it at the moment, but if its a necessity, I'll definitely grab one.

Having done hundreds of dives in the Maldives, I highly recommend having your own reef hook. The currents can get pretty strong, especially in the channels during shark dives. The rental price on most boats is about the same as buying one.

You're going to pay the same to rent it as you will to buy it, you can get it for 25 bucks on Amazon. I don't think you can dive in the Maldives without a reef hook... You need it to not get blown away in currents, and all of the healthiest sites have currents at least sometimes. I was preparing for a trip to the deep south with very strong currents and big sharks and I ended up modifying a commercial hook to add a stronger line rather than the nylon string they had. I used to use a double hook with a blue metal coil, but the clips got corroded. When you're buying a hook, you want to consider how you will detach it under tension, so make sure the clip will release under tension or carry a knife to cut your cord.

One of the quintessential Maldives dives is hanging out at the opening of a channel at about 30m as the tide is going in, and watching the sharks parade past. You're going to be using your hook there and sometimes the current can be pretty strong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom