eating disorders and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dani_p

Reaction score
Im jsut curious if anyone knows anything about the effects of an eating disorder on diving. I have been a recovering bulimic for quite a long time now and although my doctor didnt seem too concerned about it I wanted to ask some people who know more about diving. any experiences/advice?

... an active eating disorder could adversely impact upon scuba. In those who are recovering from bulimia, it depends upon how enduring the recovery has been. If it has not been stable, there are concerns.

Issues to be considered include, but are not limited to:

1. The side effects of any psychotropic medications prescribed for the condition. See http://www.scuba-doc.com/psych.htm (scroll to end)

2. Other psychiatric disorders intercurrent with the bulimia, such as depression (See http://scuba-doc.com/alertdiver2.html) or anxiety.

3. Wear & tear to the stomach & esophagus possibly predisposing to discomfort when subjected to the changes in ambient pressure & body position inherent in scuba.

4. Dehydration due to induced fluid loss, e.g., purging. Always an issue with scuba due to its inherently drying nature & the increased risk this poses for DCS. The effects could be cumulative.

5. Electrolyte imbalance. Also a possible result of purging, this can result in all manner of signs & symptoms of central nervous system & cardiac abnormality that are threats to safe scuba. These would include irritability, fatigue, lethargy, difficulty breathing, muscle pain & twitching, seizures, coma & irregular heartbeat.

The individual recovering from bulimia would be prudent in seeking medical clearance to dive, preferably from a physician with some familiarity with scuba.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

some of the same worries I , mylself had. I think its important just to take care of oneself... my doctor wasnt concerned about my taking up diving but I think I will take your advice and find someone who is specialized in dive medicine!
thanks!

I would think that diving itself would be a very positive adjunct to treatment for any eating disorder, as the healthy passion for diving displaces the unhealthy one. (after medical concerns per Doc's cautions are cleared)
Rick

DocVikingo!!! Long time no see -- derweasel here. I have been out living the dream on my sailboat and just enjoying life in general. I wanted to just add to the eating disorder thread. I have had an active eating disorder for more than 3 decades. It has had my weight as low as 86 pounds and goes back and forth from anorexia to bulimia. I recently finished my third rodeo at rehab and, unfortunately, it was an epic fail once again. So we packed up our sailboat and hit the dusty (or wet) trail. It has been the best therapy that I have ever done. There is something very soothing and meditative about diving. It allows me to actually live in the moment and is like a drug for me. My weight has stabilized at an admittedly low weight, but it has stabilized and I am feeling more calm about tackling recovery. I can only say to anyone with an eating disorder that it is obviously very important to maintain the best possible health for diving. It can be a terrific strain on the heart and the potassium levels which are deadly scenarios. It also makes staying warm difficult (lemme tell ya!).:D

It's not for everyone, obviously. I believe that feeling extremely relaxed about diving (not always the case for all divers) is key. I have been accused of doing something called "coma" diving. This means that I tool along at a pace so slow, I can almost fall asleep. The effects of this mellow feeling last for several hours. I am more apt to eat without agonizing over it during my time on the boat and for some time after diving. It has, basically, saved my life.

Like I said, it's not for everyone, but for me, it's a Godsend!!

I miss talking to you Doc!! I hope you're well?

DERWEASEL

You know how to hurt a guy, DERWEASEL. Sounds like you are living the life despite an adversity.

I am well, thank you. Recently back from diving the Komodo Islands & vicinity--it was a scuba circus. Will be diving Alaska next month--it will be a freeze your gonads off scuba circus. I'm continuing to do some writing for Sport Diver, Scuba Diving & Undercurrent. Also am a medical moderator on a couple of dive message boards.

Good to see you back. Don't be a stranger.

Cheers,

DocV

Back
Top Bottom