Eastern TN Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utdivermatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,
I am a student at UT, and have yet to really dive since Ive been here, but I am trying to finally buy some gear so I will be able to dive anywhere and anytime I want to. I was hoping some people who dive throughout the Winter in my general area (maybe as far as middle TN/ N. Alabama/ W. Georgia / Eastern Kentucky). Where is there to dive around here? I know about a couple of quarries around the Knoxville area, including one that I am getting my AOW from in April, when it warms up enough for the instructors. How cold does the water get around the area (supposing some places are open year-round). I ask this because in my AOW I am still thinking of which specialties to focus on. I know there is a drysuit, but I dont know if I would use it enough to warrent the class. I dont know much about how I do in cold water (all but one of my dives has been in tropical paradises), so was looking for general advice about temperatures in the area and what everyone wears when diving. Thanks for the help!

There are some lakes up there that I have heard of people diving in. Does UT have a scuba club? If so then join. I was in the Tigersharks while at Auburn. We did several dives a year. Of course we were about 3-4 hours from Panama City. They will probably go someplace nice for spring break. When I dove Blackbeard's thre were dive clubs from UK, Va Tech and West Virginia.

This is the only quarry in Tennesse that I know of. You can usually rent a wetsuit at most of these places that will think about keeping you warm for the dive. http://www.marthasquarry.com/index.php

The closest quarry to Knoxville area is in Athens Tenn, which is about an hour I'd guess from you. http://www.lochlow-minn.com/

First off, your instructor lied to you when he said "when the quarry warms up in April". Maybe it's warm enough for an instructor, in a drysuit then, but it takes into July for most quarries to really warm up. Some never do. I've never been in a warm quarry in April though. It takes are really long time for quarry water to warm up because the water really doesn't move much to change the temp. The good thing about this is that it takes a really long time for it to cool down. So you can still have 65-70 degree water temps all the way into October and November.

Anyway. Other Quarrys near (within 3-6 hour drive) are:

That should be enough to keep ya busy for a while.

-mike

Mikes right, TN+quarry+April=BRRRRRRR, Loch Low Minn doesn't really start warming up till June then its still a bit brisk below the thermocline, I'd say at least 7mm with a hood and gloves in april, but then I broke down and went dry for just this reason

Diving dry is much more comfortable in Loch Low, especially below that thermocline. Plus it opens up much more of the season.

Thier right about the quarries slow warm-up.I dove Al bluewater last fall and temps were low 60s to high 50s deep.The only other quarrie that wasnt listed was Madison aquatic park in Madison ,Al.Its a great place to dive but, the city council is considering not opening it back up to divers.You'll have to check posts to see whats goin on with it.A drysuit will definatly extend your season around here.

Got certified in Loch Low Minn at the end of April - water temp was 53 deg. 2 pc 5 mil plus hood and 5 mil gloves - and it was still cold!!!!!!!!!!

But at least the water was clear.

Actually there is a blue algae rock quarry in Sweetwater, about 25 mins from West Knox up I-75. Check with Adventure Scuba on Kingston Pike. They have the combination to the lock and can give you directions. Easy to find. About 70 ft deep. Real pretty. Water will probably be warmer than the air temp this weekend. Bbrrrrr.

I dove Philadelphia quarry end of april last year. Pulled this back out of my dive log. Air temp 72 degF, surface temp 64 degF. Dropped to 2nd ledge 43 foot depth temp 52degF. Had 3mm shorty under 5mm one piece suit with hood and gloves. Good vis +40 feet. 30 minutes total dive time, too cold to continue. Did have a large mouth bass strike my mask. It must have seen a flash of light across it. Scared the dickens out of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom