Easter Sunday Video: Point Lobos 4/12/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, it's Monday again. That typically means the long wait for the next weekend is just beginning, but I like to start the week off right :)

I neglected checking the forecast for the weekend, so I wasn't sure what to expect. However, as we rolling into town on Sunday, it seems like conditions were going to be just right. Monastery beach was packed, as was the Point Lobos parking lot. The sun was out and the water was calm.

Rhlee joined us for the dive, and we figured the conditions called for a trip out to Beto's Reef. Viz was fantastic - from inside the cove, we could see the sand 30ft down, and it just continued to open up as we passed the mouth. The water was teeming with tiny shrimp, and it seems like the big fish came out to play today. Big wolf eels, big lingcod, and even bigger lingcod. I also saw what I think is a rosy rockfish (which if it is, would actually be the second time I've seen one at Beto's).

We spent about 15 minutes out at Beto's Reef and took our time heading back in along the west side of Middle Reef. Rob showed us a resident Warbonnet, and pointed out Itchy and Scratchy (I still can't find them on my own).

Larger video available with link, embedded is below: YouTube - Easter Dive at Beto's Reef

[c][/c]

Thanks Doc! I hear there's some nice footage from the 4/4 dive that has yet to be put up, I'm really waiting to see that :wink:

Great conditions and video! The one time I dived PL. we had 30 ft viz. Got spoiled I guess

No kidding you did have nice conditions. We went to Fort Ross and had around 15-20 foot of vis, and it was surgy above 30 feet. Wound up doing only one dive. One of us was in a wetsuit in the 45 degree water :shocked2: Thank goodness for drysuits. We brought our scooters and slowed them down so the wetsuit diver could charge along and stay warmer.

Ninety five minutes? Wow. I'd be a popsicle by the end of that.

BTW, enjoyed your horrible, trite, boring and otherwise appalling video :D

We brought our scooters and slowed them down so the wetsuit diver could charge along and stay warmer.

That brings to mind an image of a drill sergeant riding on a golf cart screaming at a recruit running in the rain!

Ninety five minutes? Wow. I'd be a popsicle by the end of that.

As Peter mentioned, not having a scooter really does keep you warmer! As for the appalling video, I couldn't help but feel like I was directly in the crosshairs when Ken made that comment :) He's spot on about one thing though, my main goal is to document the dive. I'm leaving the art to the guys and gals with real creative vision (and Dear Santa, video lights wouldn't hurt either)!

Thanks for the video. It's good to see the other perspective at the same location. The jelly that Rob was playing with was at Beto's on Monday as well. That's pretty surprising, considering the size.

Here's my Beto's Reef - Pt Lobos video.

Was trying a new scooter mount so apologies for the squeaking noise.

Great vid Don! It was so funny to run into you guys twice in one dive! One of these days I'll make it out to the end of Beto's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom