East Timor: May 1 - Very giant clam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
05-05-01brcg029.jpg

05-05-01brcg027.jpg

05-05-01brcg048.jpg

05-05-01brcg077.jpg

05-05-01brcg032.jpg

You're having entirely too much fun with that camera :D. Great shots.

Is that a big clam or small diver? :D
Beautiful! How easy is it to get to East Timor nowaday?

ssra30:
Is that a big clam or small diver? :D
Beautiful! How easy is it to get to East Timor nowaday?

Thanks, all. One flight a day from Indonesia and 2 flights a day from Darwin, Australia. Isolated in terms of flight connections but you won't regret it. Come visit, we'll show you around.

Nick

calypsonick:
Thanks, all. One flight a day from Indonesia and 2 flights a day from Darwin, Australia. Isolated in terms of flight connections but you won't regret it. Come visit, we'll show you around.

Nick
From where in Indonesia? Bali or Jakarta?
My geography is a bit poor but is East Timor roughly the same place where Alor is?
Hopefully I can catch the connecting flight on the same day. I was going to go to Irian Jaya but from Bangkok, it would require an overnight stay in Singapore one night and another night in Manado before getting out to Surong. I am trying to avoid spending a lot of travel time (those vacation days are precious :D )

ssra, yes the only Indonesia flights to Dili, East Timor are from Denpasar, Bali. Although you can see Alor from the northwestern shore of East Timor, there is no connecting flight. To do both Alor and East Timor you have to go back through Denpasar. Also, the one daily flight to Dili from Bali leaves at 8am so you have to work your connecitons properly to avoid staying a night in Bail.

There is a small local airline called Kakoak Air fliying from Dili to Kupang, West Timor. That could offer another option but I have yet to try it and cannot tell you what it is like.

Back
Top Bottom