East End February - Morritts and Compass Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We will be in Grand Cayman for the first part of February, staying at Morrits and Compass Point each for a week. I have been reading about the wind and waves in Feb. Soooo, if East End is blown out will Ocean Frontiers or Red Sail take you to another dive site area? Would it be better to just plan on driving to a different area to dive for a week?
This will be our first trip other than a quick day off a cruise ship for a wedding.

• 04.gif

It is highly unusual for East End to be blown out entirely. East End diving is from Old Man Bay in the north around to Frank Sound in the south. If the northerly sites are too rough then the dive shops go south, and vice versa.

In the unlikely chance it is too rough, Ocean Frontiers (at Compass Point) does not have a second shop location. Tortuga Divers (at Morritts) is a part of Red Sail Sports which has shop locations on the west side of the island where the seas would likely be calmer during an East End blowout.

Tortuga has a new manager Nigel who told me the other day that they are getting new 80cuft tanks - same size as OF runs. The rest of Red Sail is still using 72's for now.

As Drew said, East End is rarely "blown out." I've dived there a portion of pretty much every month for the last year and a half, and the only times I can remember the boats not going out from OF was one day this summer when Issac was in the general area and seas kicked up. And of course you know what they say about the weather! :wink: Although we expected rough seas last February, it was so calm for much of the time we were there that we went to the sites up north regularly. Being on East End gives Ocean Frontiers the choice of heading north or south depending on the prevailing winds. This will give you a good idea of the sites to the north and south that are accessible from Ocean Frontiers: Grand Cayman Dive Sites

Oh, Thank you, that's good news.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom