East Coast FL Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
I know i've asked this before, but is the general consensus that the diving near Orlando is not so great? How far south do you have to go before it gets good? Any good spring dives on that coast? Also, i've never done any drift diving (and FL east coast is all drift, right?), but it seems to me that a constant current would get pretty annoying, making it a struggle to stay in one spot you may find interesting. Any opinions on this?

thanks!
aujax

aujax:
I know i've asked this before, but is the general consensus that the diving near Orlando is not so great? How far south do you have to go before it gets good? Any good spring dives on that coast? Also, i've never done any drift diving (and FL east coast is all drift, right?), but it seems to me that a constant current would get pretty annoying, making it a struggle to stay in one spot you may find interesting. Any opinions on this?

thanks!
aujax

My Husband loved diving the Tenneco Towers just off Hollywood, Beach (ft. Lauderdale)

Julie

Diving on the East coast of Florida starts in Jupiter and goes all the
way to Key West.There may be some diving North of Jupiter but I
think its further out maybe a 20 mile boat ride. The diving is closer
in down here.

aujax:
SNIP... i've never done any drift diving (and FL east coast is all drift, right?), but it seems to me that a constant current would get pretty annoying, making it a struggle to stay in one spot you may find interesting.
Both boat and shore dives have occasional "problem" currents down here but for the most part its less than you'd wish for if you enjoyed drift diving - often considerably less than a knott just offshore and rarely an issue.

If you've never tried it, drift diving can be very enjoyable. IME, all of the boats here are consistently precise with their drops, you can trust certain drivers so you won't have to wander off in search of better sights - they know their turf!

There is a reason SE Florida is known as the beach diving capital of the US!

There are no coastal springs in south florida. Maybe one or two near Tampa, a couple between Orlando and Daytona, and the majority are in the Ocala, Gainesville, to Tallahasee areas.

I like diving in Jupiter over West Palm cuz the reefs to me in better shape. Too many newbies with bad trim and bouyancy wrecking the reefs go to West Palm. There are a lot of nice wrecks in the Pompano and Ft. Lauderdale areas as well as shore diving.

aujax:

thanks!
aujax

If you liked escalators and people-movers when you were a kid, you should
like drift diving. If you want to stop and look at something, just turn into the current and fin. The resistance of the current actually makes it easier to stay in one place. If you have to swim against the current on a wreck, you get to bomb back to the up line. If you're swimming against the current, check your
air more often.

There is some of the best diving in the world here in South Florida. What every your pleasure. Isn't this called the DIVE CAPITAL of the world. HMMM I wonder how it got that name. As they say in the south " Come on Down". If you need more info feel free to contact me.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom